Flat Roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiqueurKitty

Reaction score
We recently purchased a bi-level house which has a flat roof with no visible ventilation. We do not have a working a/c unit for 2nd level of the house and it's like a sauna day and night. We have ceiling fans on the 2nd level but all they do is push the hot air around. We get no relief from these 100 degree temps.

Any suggestions besides the obvious of getting our 2nd floor a/c unit working?

You may need AC anyway but looking at the venting is a really good idea. No soffet vents in the overhang? Can you tell how big the ceiling joists are? Flat as in no slope at all?

I attached a picture of the house in my profile picture. When the house was inspected the inspector mentioned that he saw the vents within the soffets however there were pieces missing and there was just plywood underneath which lead the inspector to believe that there was none. Ceiling joists? The beams that runs the length of the house?

Sorry I don't see a flat roof in the photo. Ceiling joists hold up the drywall or what have you inside and on a flat roof the roof sheeting is laying on top of the same timbers.

Back