Wind Turbine Attached Galvanized Steel Pole

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't tell from the pic, but how big is the unit? Will you be able to hoist it up on to the pole?

It is a fairly small unit. The ebay listing for the turbine has all the details:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-HYBRI-K...033505?hash=item58c42752e1:g:JR4AAOSwqu9VRhSL

I will simply carry it up with me using a ladder and place it in place. At least that was my initial plan. Anyhow, I had to postpone installing it since I have too many other things going on now.

Too bad there is so many cloudy days in Central Ohio, my small solar array barely make any power in such conditions one day after another... Sometimes wished I had moved to North or South Caroline

The issue I have with your plan is all the potential stress would be on where you connect it to the rake boards. I don't know how structurally sound they are but I would do it a bit differently.
I would use 1.5" or 2" rigid steel conduit, run it from the ground, attached directly to the wall with straps and through the roof with a mast flashing. Just clamp your turbine to the conduit with C clamps.

It is a fairly light and small turbine. I am still planing on how to approach it, and certainly the distribution of the load is very important. I did consider using the concrete walls as a support too, but using a mast flashing would be too much work

thk!

I have not read this whole thread,

this is my opinion on your mast.

2015-12-08_2323.jpg

standoff bracket detail

Thanks a lot for the detailed pics and diagrams. So, instead of the fiascia board I should use the eaves? It also seems that I would have to fabricated th we bracket.

Due to the large no of things to do I postpone the wind turbine install for the near future (hopeofully mid of January). I will be back soon to this thread, and will keep you all posted! thks

Only recently I did perform test with the wind generator, and it turns out that is defective, low quality, and with design flaws. To make matters much worse the company behind it are made out of crooks. So, please, do not buy it. Below is write reporting the situation:

I bought the item few months ago but never got around to install or testr it due to other activities and the onslaughter of the winter.

I did contact the seller for no avail: comes with redundant arguments that make no absolutely no-sense whatsoever. I also posted a video online portraying the subpar, low quality, non-functional wind generator that I unfortunately bought off ebay.The item is supposed to have a warranty for a minimum of one year. This is shipped from a seller in Germany, but it is made in Turkey. The quality of item is subpar, and the seller seems to be a crook whom will not honor any warranty and comes up with non-sensical arguments. Customers have the right to a proper and rightful warranty services or remedies to obtain his/her money back in its absence.

https://youtu.be/jHLaUSDebh0

As indicated in the video the win generator is being spinned by a a high speed/rpms+high quality 18V Dewalt drill, and its output is maxing out at 4V .

It may seem at first that I was commending this particular wind generator and its company, so I needed to rectify the record: it is a lemon

Last edited:
So what makes these thing better than an old 12 volt generator

Overall, the principle is the same: technologically speaking wind generator are fairly old technology (solar panels are high tech in comparison). But a wind generator are often made of light alloys, composite plastics, and/or carbon fiber. It should withstand rough weather conditions and have good aerodynamics. But point of failures often are the usual culprits: things like ball bearings (to be expected)

I have never let a generator run with out a regulator to see what they would produce. Call me a redneck but at this point I would be looking for something small enough to fit in that shell.

I have never let a generator run with out a regulator to see what they would produce. Call me a redneck but at this point I would be looking for something small enough to fit in that shell.

Yeah, a regulator is an important component of this system. Basically, it would need a charge controller/regulator and a dump load (large resistors) to shunt excess current. But for test purposes of the wind generator itself, it is important to read the raw AC voltage: this wind generator has 3 phases, so I obtained readouts of two phases to get a proper reading. In this particular situation I would expect to obtain readings of about 24VAC or more. A more sophisticated charge controller (MPPT technology) would even convert the excess voltage in extra currents in most situations instead of wasting it.

Below is a link to more or less complete setup for a regulator for a wind generator:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-IN-ONE-...r-wind-turbine-and-solar-panels-/371106185879

Back