Hobbies other than home repair.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bourbon. I like bourbon. I also like making bourbon. (yes legally) I've managed to come up with a pretty good mashbill. And Im within six months of my first run of it to be done aging.

I also spent far too much time on my bikes. Or so says my wife. Im just about done with my latest bobber build and riding season is finally here.

I do enjoy hunting and fishing but havent had the time in recent years.

I enjoy homebrewing (beer) - never was much into wine. I thought that it was still illegal to make distilled spirits at home. Where you get your still and ingredients?

It seems back home, they are kicking flower vases over at the cemeteries, breaking the 3/16" bolt that holds them to the base, then sealing them for the brass. They got my folks' vase, so I took some 2" aluminum billet round stock I had on the shelf, spun it on the lathe, modified the base a little and bolted it together with a 1/2" bolt. If they try that again, it's gonna' hurt. Heading back home next weekend to install.

Don't know what this old world has come to. :(:(:( Too bad you couldn't rig a M-80 to it to give them quite a bang if they tried that again!

I enjoy homebrewing (beer) - never was much into wine. I thought that it was still illegal to make distilled spirits at home. Where you get your still and ingredients?

I used to homebrew all the time. Have made wine but not a wine drinker. I have made whiskey and I believe it is legal in a few states and also by permit in others, I just make it to run my mower......

Curious, but the word "after" is not printed on any of the better looking pictures. Makes me wonder if they are photoshopped instead.
I've been to the official site of the guy who does the painting. He shows before, during, and after photos. Shows the process of him painting and shows the photos he uses as reference. He's just that good at doing the painting. He sometimes sells the dolls. I think he even got hired for a limited time by a toy company to paint faces on some of their dolls.
The "Before" thing was put on by whoever made the article.

Went out to Iowa over the weekend and installed the vase for Mom & Dad.
There's 4 self tapping set screws at the top to keep the flowers from blowing out by the wind and another in the base to keep it tied to the receiver. They can still take it, but hopefully they will pass it by.

vase b2.jpg

vase b1.jpg

I like it, also never understood why people steal or even better why they steal from the dead.

I like it, also never understood why people steal or even better why they steal from the dead.
It's a lack of respect for the dead and/or others and a sense of entitlement that makes them feel they deserve to take the stuff-- and I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was done by drug users who are desperate for a fix. Morality goes out the window entirely when someone is in withdrawal. I have a friend who's mother used to sell his birthday gifts from the grandparents to buy drugs and stole his food stamps to sell for crack or meth.

I've been to the official site of the guy who does the painting. He shows before, during, and after photos. Shows the process of him painting and shows the photos he uses as reference. He's just that good at doing the painting. He sometimes sells the dolls. I think he even got hired for a limited time by a toy company to paint faces on some of their dolls.
The "Before" thing was put on by whoever made the article.
Since this was apparently real, I'd say what he does with the hair is at least as impressive as what he does with the faces.

Last edited:
It's a lack of respect for the dead and/or others and a sense of entitlement that makes them feel they deserve to take the stuff-- and I wouldn't be surprised if some of it was done by drug users who are desperate for a fix. Morality goes out the window entirely when someone is in withdrawal. I have a friend who's mother used to sell his birthday gifts from the grandparents to buy drugs and stole his food stamps to sell for crack or meth.

I believe you are right zannej

Back in 2013 a few bronze plaques were stolen from Alpine, CA veterans cemetery
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...tolen/&usg=AFQjCNGbJD21A__rYZ7EAYqVkgdW9KlVXw

Wow, no kidding. I lived in Alpine in 2013! Didn't know there was a veteran's cemetery though. I remember reading the police blotter section of the local municipality paper and there were often items about random piles of drugs and cash being found out in the desert near the freeway. The town straddles I-8 so it's right on the main corridor where lots of unsavory people are moving.

I hope Frodo likes it as well. I wonder how it would look with gold or silver leaf (or paint) in the etched part. Or would it not stand out as much? Black looks like it stands out well.

Not sure. I'll do it however frodo wants it. sounds like he's looking for old and rustic.

Latest posts

Back