How is this possible??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trumpetdoc

Reaction score
Story house, one 75gal water heater.
Downstairs shower and all faucets, including upstairs faucets have hot water.
Showered in the upstairs showers (bath/shower combo style) and initially I had a hot shower.
Now, all of the sudden, no hot water whatsoever ever in either upstairs tub!!
Faucets in same bathroom have instantaneous hot water... Tubs, nothing.
Left it in for 5 min. No change. It's a single handle style and let it run in all areas of the "clock" per se.
How is this happening ???

Sounds like a valve problem not letting hot water through, but it is a strange coincidence to happen on both tubs at once. Do you have an anti-scald device? Maybe your hot water was too hot and damaged it.

Quite a mystery, keep us posted!

If I were a plumber/detective, I'd replace both valves. After making sure there was a steady flow of hot water getting to the valves.

How would one get to these?
Removed the plate on the shower knob and just goes blindly into the wall.

Am I going to have to remove wall to get to these (or plumber have to) ??

Do you have well water or town water?
Sounds like a valve problem before your tub faucets. I would start in the basement and trace your pipes. Look for a valve with lots of gunk on it, starting at the water heater, could be the culprit.

You can start opening and closing valves, but be prepared for them to leak if they are the old gate style valves. The packings wear out on these.

Town water.
Prob just gonna have to eat cost of having someone come out. There is gunk, mineral build up on a lot of what is coming off the water heater but as above, why would the faucets work fine???

Are the tubs , back to back? so to speak? If so, one line could plug both tubs if it is the feed. It all depends on how your lines are run, tubs or sinks first?
Sounds like the anti scald diverters may have debrie, or gunk in them. The sink faucets do not have these.
Sounds like you need to also get the water heater lines fixed, and flush out your water heater.
Let us know what happens.

If the temp was changed at the tank, the anti-scold has to be adjusted at the shower controls.

How could one change the anti scold at the shower?
I disconnected the handle from the wall and it's just a blind pipe into the tile wall.

The tubs s are not back to back, and actually rather far apart.

Upload a photo of what you have for shower handle. Do you have access behind the tub shower body? And how is the sink in bath that's hot from the start?

inspectorD said:
Do you have well water or town water?
Sounds like a valve problem before your tub faucets. I would start in the basement and trace your pipes. Look for a valve with lots of gunk on it, starting at the water heater, could be the culprit.

You can start opening and closing valves, but be prepared for them to leak if they are the old gate style valves. The packings wear out on these.

Unless some one has been messing with the valves This wouldn't be the case unless the valves were closed then you tryed to open them the lines are pressurized if the packing nut starts to leak you can tighten then back up clockwise with channel locks
This really sounds like the shower body going.

Who is the manufacturer of your water heater and what is the first 8 digits of the serial number?

Back