Foil faced biard on rafters

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffmattero76

Reaction score
Hello:
I have a 1950s 2 story cape cod home with a shed dormer. The ceilings of the 2nd floor are all insulated with fiberglass batts installed about 10 years ago, and the attic is floored with 3/4" plywood. The attic of this house is has a ridge vent the entire length, but only a couple of soffit vents due to the lack of soffits, and one 3'x3' gable vent.

In any case i have been reading about a foil faced material that is installed on the rafters which is suposed to dramatically increase the insulation value. Does anyone know if this material performs as advertised? Is it a diy project?

If it matters I live in suburban Philadelphia, PA.

We have all seen aluminum foil reflect light so I guess you could say it reflexes energy, while we contemplate that we fry our eggs in an aluminum frying pan.
Other than that thought it wouldn't hurt anything.
For the shed roof I would consider a vented drip edge to get that venting at the soffet.

If you could be a bit more specific about the product you're referring to and whether you're looking to reduce heat in the attic or heat loss in the house.

We have all seen aluminum foil reflect light so I guess you could say it reflexes energy, while we contemplate that we fry our eggs in an aluminum frying pan.
For the shed roof I would consider a vented drip edge to get that venting at the soffet.
Neal - there are no overhangs on the shed dormer roof.

What is a vented drip edge?

I will try to find a link to a picture when i get home, but it is a 1/4" thick material that is covered on both sides with a silver metallic foil.

I am more concerned with keeping heat out in the summer. The attic gets incredibly hot since the sun beats on my south facing roof. I dont know if it will do anything during the winter.

I will try to find a link to a picture when i get home, but it is a 1/4" thick material that is covered on both sides with a silver metallic foil.

I am more concerned with keeping heat out in the summer. The attic gets incredibly hot since the sun beats on my south facing roof. I dont know if it will do anything during the winter.

OWENS CORNING offers a product titled REFLEXIT which is foil faced, 5/16" and is probably similar.

Shed dormers, while being architecturally attractive, are by nature a captive system when finished in the manner you have described, so the economical cure for mitigating summer heat buildup will probably lie in a forced air exhaust fan placed near the gable vent.

What you're looking to do is create a radiant barrier on that side. It's done quite a bit down here in FL. It won't do much for you in the winter. Here's an article on it.

"Reflective-Insulation and Radiant-Barrier Systems"
http://homeenergy.org/show/article/id/1933

Thanks to all. I guess i will do more research before installing this radient barrier. The powered exhaust fan probably makes more sense.

It's usually easier and more effective to get the heat out than to try and stop it from getting in. bit you can use both together for maximum effect.

Codes in some hotter climes now require new construction roof sheathing to have a foil radiant barrier attached to the inside and there is a 7/16" OSB roof sheathing with a foil side made just for this purpose. Not much good for a retrofit but handy if you're replacing all the roof sheathing.

Phil

This is Ed Fritz, I'm the owner of AtticFoil.com I think our type product may be what you may be referring too. Any radiant barrier questions, please feel free to contact me. Contrary to what is often heard, we sell a lot of radiant barrier in colder areas. We have many customers who don't have air conditioning, but wish they did a few weeks of the year. The radiant barrier will significantly reduce the heat gain in late afternoon. Often, this is enough to make the home pretty comfortable even on the hottest days.

This is Ed Fritz, I'm the owner of AtticFoil.com I think our type product may be what you may be referring too. Any radiant barrier questions, please feel free to contact me. ........
Thanks for joining the conversation Ed. I'm sure your expertise will be appreciated by all of the forum visitors and regulars. I'd like to encourage this conversation to take place within the forum instead of through private messages, so that we can all learn from it.

This is Ed Fritz, I'm the owner of AtticFoil.com I think our type product may be what you may be referring too. Any radiant barrier questions, please feel free to contact me. Contrary to what is often heard, we sell a lot of radiant barrier in colder areas. We have many customers who don't have air conditioning, but wish they did a few weeks of the year. The radiant barrier will significantly reduce the heat gain in late afternoon. Often, this is enough to make the home pretty comfortable even on the hottest days.

I Ed; welcome to the site.
I am the guy that has been disparaging your product for the 50 years.

I have talked to a few people over the years that are quick to say how much they sell, so it must work. or the people that no about this stuff designed it so it must work.

I am not familiar with your product but I am sure it come with it's own instructions and sales pitch.

I would like to know how exactly it works and why. Cost saving for hot and cold.

I am the guy who grow up in an unfinished uninsulated attic Looking at bear rafters and then rafters with foil stapled to them. It did seem to control the dust a little, other than that ??????

I imagine foil facing into the room won't be very effective. But I have heard talk about frying your roof if the foil is directing heat right back up.
I Ed; welcome to the site.
I am the guy that has been disparaging your product for the 50 years.

I have talked to a few people over the years that are quick to say how much they sell, so it must work. or the people that no about this stuff designed it so it must work.

I am not familiar with your product but I am sure it come with it's own instructions and sales pitch.

I would like to know how exactly it works and why. Cost saving for hot and cold.

I am the guy who grow up in an unfinished uninsulated attic Looking at bear rafters and then rafters with foil stapled to them. It did seem to control the dust a little, other than that ??????
Wow, 50 years!! Honesty, you may be set in your opinion at this point. But, IF you are open to input from customers who have actually used it start here. Been selling for 16 years now and rarely have a customer who is unhappy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, 50 years!! Honesty, you may be set in your opinion at this point. But, IF you are open to input from customers who have actually used it start here. Been selling for 16 years now and rarely have a customer who is unhappy.
Sorry, had a link to over 1900 actual customer reviews, but it was edited out since it was considered promotion.

Sorry, had a link to over 1900 actual customer reviews, but it was edited out since it was considered promotion.
We love members in the professions, but have to be careful about promotions as we get a lot of spam to go through daily. I approved your post this morning as it had a lot of good advice.

This thread is older and some of the members you are replying to haven’t posted in a while.

We have a new introduction section and if you would like to tell us about yourself that’s a good place to start.

Welcome.

Back