Toughest paint for cabinet interior?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growthing

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am tired of my cabinet interiors, which are exposed wood. Very dark and they seem to collect dirt. The existing finish is either old varnish which has nearly worn away, or nothing at all.
I'd like to paint or finish the interiors in white so I can see what's in there and have some cleanability. What will stand up best to the trials of dishes, cans, spices, etc? I am tempted to use garage floor epoxy, but I'm afraid that might be a little bit 'hobo'...

The cabinets will need to be degreased, all the old sealer sanded off, vacuum then wipe down with minerla spirts on a clean cloth. Then paint with a bonding primer then latex enamel paint. Use shelf liner material on the bottom of the shelf.

I don't wanna sound dumb, but, can you give me an example of a bonding primer?

Thanks...

What is the Best Way to Paint Cabinets?
If you walk into any real paint store or even Lowes or HD and tell them your looking for a bonding primer for enamel paint they all carry it and will know what your talking about. Most primers are designed to cover over a stain or a dark color, some are better at sealing in odors. A bonding primer forms a super strong bond beteen the substrate and the paint to make sure the paint stays stuck.
Just do a key word search on the net on bonding primer. All paint companys make it.

Sounds like a huge meticulous project - but probably worth it - good luck
Thanks- Joe for the expert advice.

Back