Mobile home cheapest way to get a home?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryce

Reaction score
What i gather that if find some land then find a mobile home, which them seems to be plenty off around. then i can get a good cheap digs.
Do you think EP land will allow a mobile home? It would be nice to have a few acres. Someone told me if you have enough land you can do what you want more or less.(with out services.)
Has anyone done this, what should i consider? How much would a septic be? 10k? I wonder how expensive it is move a mobile home in s ontario? 5k maybe. Seems the newer mobile homes are much better maybe 30k for a used one. Lets say some land is 40k. How much should i consider in total? How long would permitting take?

With an over abundance of homes on the market at dirt cheap prices, I wouldn't opt for a mobile home.

In Ontario there is not maybe in Windsor.

Local codes will dictate where you can put a moble home. Moving it isn't that much money but get the towing company to look at it before you buy it. If they are rusty and or just old sometimes no one will tow it. Cost of syptic can vary with ground conditions, slope of the land and proximity to wells, creaks and what have you.

If you can do a cash deal, or private financing, there are some huge deals on mobile homes right now. The banks are almost doing no financing for mobiles, so the foreclosure rate onthem is very high, and the banks are desparate to move them after they get them back. I just purchased a 1800 sq ft, four bedroom home on its own lot, landscaped, and pretty decent, for under $30k. Granted it has a few problems, but most very basic stick frame homes are still over $100k. Cash or private money is the key - if you have that, you can push for some great deals right now....

What i gather that if find some land then find a mobile home, which them seems to be plenty off around. then i can get a good cheap digs.

You might also check out Tumbleweed Houses, as they are starting to gain some grass roots traction down here in the states, and they have some tremedously practical small home designs that would probably suit your budget. Their smallest homes can actually be built on a trailer and hauled around from site to site. Don't know if you're the "minimalist" type, but living the model that is that small would require some genuine lifestyle changes. But they have sound plans for larger (but still small and cozy) homes, and you might consider searching them out using your favorite search engine. I posted the URL here yesterday, but it appears the Forum weeds out any message with a URL.

I would suggest that you look for a foreclosure or Fannie Mar or HUD home. You can find a house at a reasonable price. A mobile is cheap because it's, well, cheap. Mobiles always depreciate, whereas when the housing market recovers a house will appreciate in value. And you can borrow against them, which you usually cant with a mobile.

dthornton: bryce is in Canada and CMHC is the insurance that would have the foreclosed houses up here. I don't know about Ontario but our market just dosn't have that meny foreclosers right now.

Back