termites

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamallo

Reaction score
Would termite damage cause the subfloor under my wood floors to buckle? I had wood flooring installed over a wood subfloor and now the wood is buckling in the center of the room it looks like a huge bubble. I have pulled up a piece of the wood and see that the subfloor is buckling. could this be caused by termites? I had the termite guy in and he says that there are no live termites. Would old termite damage have caused the buckling in my subfloor?

in the center of the room it looks like a huge bubble.
he says that there are no live termites.
Would old termite damage have caused the buckling in my subfloor?
If you can easily poke a screwdriver into the wood it could be old termite damage. Also if you can peel away huge splinters with your hands.

I assume there is a support post
Lally column - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
in the center of this bubble, and the bubble is like an upside down bowl when viewed from above? If so, what you describe shouldn't be possible. :(

If the bubble is the other way round the joists have weakened at the point of maximum bending moment {bottom graph in the link below}
Google Image Result for http://www.mdsolids.com/screenshots/beamdiagram.gif

Can you post pictures?

Last edited:
And check that opposite foundation walls are still parallel, at top and bottom.

If you have one big dome forming in the center it could be the wood floor was installed incorrectly. Who installed it and when?:) What region of the country are you in?:)

I live in New Orleans. I am suspecting bad installation, because the bubble is just in one spot. I would expect the floor to cave in if the subfloor or joists below it were termite damaged, I don't think it would buckle.

I live in New Orleans. I am suspecting bad installation, because the bubble is just in one spot. I would expect the floor to cave in if the subfloor or joists below it were termite damaged, I don't think it would buckle.
Without a photo, I now have to agree with Mr. Cline.

I guess if you stand in the middle of the bubble and it drops some in height, this is add'tl confirmation.

Who installed the floor?
You, or a flooring installer?
How long ago?
Were the products acclimated to the surroundings for a few days before they were installed?

There is still a lot of unanswered questions.:)

I'm betting the floor is crowded against the walls in too many places. Humidity is always high as far as I know in New Orleans and that is enough moisture to cause some issues with a floor expanding. If there is no place for the floor to expand to, something's gotta give. Usually the give results in exactly what you apparently have - a bubble, hump, tent.:)

. . .the bubble. . .
What is the diameter and height of the bubble?

From this I should be able to tell you how much the material expanded with moisture - for wood, 3% is probably a reasonable value.

Back