General overhaul...ongoing(pix!!!)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see the good stuff going in. Those tubs can get slippery.:D Keepin it clean.:D

Hows that water issue goin in the yard? Buy a boat yet?:p Or are the district folks going to help with some drainage around there?
Hope it turns out ...:)

I see you left an acess hole for the heater.. why do they have to be so expensive for? they can keep their 300 heater :)

I just noticed where you put the tub fill...very nice job with all of it.:D
So is it worth it yet?:)

Ahh to be young, stong and good looking again - well, maybe not "again" so to speak. I envy you the ability and the opportunity to do a nice job on a place of your own. So, did you get the kitchen cabinets and finish them yourself? If not, you might want to consider some practice on other furniture or just practice plywood. Doing your first work on your cabs could turn a $500 savings into a several thousand dollar heartach. OTOH, if you're experienced with this work just ignore me. I forget to ask important things like that sometimes - LOL!! Keep up the good work.
Chuck

PS. I'll wait before offering any more of my 'sage advise' on kitchen design.

Well thanks for the replies you guys. I was wondering if you guys forgot about me.

At this point there is alot of little stuff going on...stuff like the supply lines for the faucets, tile, shower head, more tile, did I mention that im sick of laying tile. Next time I design my own room, the tile will be picked out first and the layout built to the size of the tile so I dont have so much damn cutting to do.

I will be finishing up the tile work tomorrow, and hopefully have all that grouted by tomorrow evening. We do have the cold water running and the vanity and toilet are working. The shower has a small leak down the extension for the shower head, Ill fix that up tomorrow as well.

Not alot of pics to upload right now, but you guys will like it when I do upload them. Those brown accent tiles pop like crazy.

As for the kitchen. We havnt touched it since the last update. Soon enough we will be back in there. A little more drywall work to do, and we can texture, and paint...woot.

We did however get a really good deal on a cooktop range. 4 burner style ceramic without the oven, you know the one I mean. It retailed for 699, and I picked it up for 175+tax... Oh the joys of working for Home Depot.:eek:

Sounds like your movin along. ...again.:D
Just think, at least you didn't do any diagonal tiling.:) :eek:

Here is a small update. Gots me a damn good deal on a cooktop. Retail 699 bought for 200.
bdee018a.jpg

Shower head
1864ed3c.jpg

Le Toilette
0b26857c.jpg

More tileing
e35f4042.jpg

mmmmmmmmmm good
7ca458fe.jpg

me and the wife
e82a69e0.jpg

it was a good day
c57e5972.jpg

More updates to come..keep checking back.

I would encourage you to install drawers in many of your under-cabinet areas instead of just shelves behind doors. We use these for many of our heavy things but not just heavy stuff, either. In one house we alread had doors so I tore out the shelves and construced low-sided drawers behind the doors. The doors a bit more of a hassle instead of just using drawer faces but it was still easier to use. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the heads up...were waiting to see the design that the cabinet builder is coming up with...We are ready for a 10k or higher bill. Three walls of cabinets, the shortest being 12ft. Whew...thats alot of storage, but then again. I like being in the kitchen............ALOT!

Ok guys, got alot done this weekend, Im tired, Kim's tired, and were gonna make this short.

The grouting and sealing is almost completed, we left one small area unfinished so we could have a place to kneel and work. Got more drywall done, and the water heater is ready to be installed. Got some wiring done for the washer and dryer. And ate more great crawfish, yum, shrimp to some people. LOL

Finishing up the tile
e35f4042.jpg

And done...well almost.
2ab1016e.jpg

Oh yay, can you tell its my first time
6c63be82.jpg

That looks hella different
5629566a.jpg

Putting in the bullnose on the step.
bfb2cb0f.jpg

And installing the field tiles on the step.
cf116d31.jpg

more grout
c63947bd.jpg

Thats right, you clean that good...lol, hey she volunteered
4c1f0841.jpg

HOLY **** THAT TURNED OUT GOOD. Sealed.
a94c804c.jpg

Kim likes to screw...the drywall up that is.
5a4b0b5d.jpg

Again with more screwing
677a5e9b.jpg

Done for the weekend.
2087957a.jpg

Someone tell me whats missing here?
8494f513.jpg

So overall a good weekend. Got the tileing almost finished, still have to grout the step area. Got alot more drywall up, and found that the PO was seriously sloppy with his wiring, as if I didnt know already.

Hows it coming guys?

Well everthing is sure looking good, sure reminds me of me and the wife redoing our home. Keep it up there is a light at the end of the tunnel beleive it or not.

Well I can certainly see the light, but the wife, two cats, dog, adn I are going nuts living in a 15x15 room with a bathroom. I mean the cats are literally going crazy. They just run in circles around the room.

Well Im burnt out. We have been busting our asses to get this done, and just keep running into problems. Today we got the water heater over in the new utility closet, and the flow of the hot water is less than optimal.

Heres the big one. If you check a few pages back there was a fitting I mentioned was hard to get to. It was the drain line for the tub. Yeah well it leaks like a SOB, and Im going to have to cut a rather large hole in the outside of the house to gain access to it. Even then I dont know how Im going to be able to fix it. Everything is glued together.

Oh and the faucet for the tub is meant for a sink, so it takes an hour to fill up the tub.

Aww now, the frustration level has stopped many improvement projects dead in their tracks. You two have been through so much already, these problems should seem minor in the grand scope of things. You will figure out solutions to your problems and get past them. We're all watching, we're all rooting for you. This has been a VERY popular thread and the work you have done is looking really good. Don't stop now!

We definitly dont have any intention of stopping now. No way!!! I just had to take a step back and look at the big picture. I did however go look at the correct faucet for the tub...its a whopping 498$:eek: and you still need a 100$ valve set for it.

I cannot justify paying 600 bucks for a faucet so we will have to find something else that looks just as good.

Thanks for the encouragement, we will prevail. Its just gonna take some determination, thats all.

Ill keep you all updated, but Im gonna be at work late all this week for training, so no more pics till next Sunday most likely.

Im still stumped about that leaky fitting.

Latest posts

Back