Bricks on Ballon Framing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Namartia

Reaction score
I'm aiming to renovate my home in the near future. I was chatting with a mason friend of mine about replacing the siding on my home with brick.

My house is built with balloon framing. He seemed concerned about this, because he's never laid brick on a balloon framed home.

Does this type of framing affect the structural integrity of the house?

If it does affect it, is there anyway to get around this issue?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome Mamartia:
There are pros and cons to balloon framing, as there are with regular framing. Nothing to worry about though; your house will take brick as well as any other.
Glenn

The brick is not supported by the framing. Its weight is supported by the footing or header it sits on.

Brick veneer is only tied to the framing to help transfer the normal wind loads to the structure and prevent it from separating. there is no structural problem if it is supported vertically by something other than a temporary material like wood.

Dick

It's kind of like picture framing ..without the glass..???
Seriously, it is another ,older method of framing the wood structure of a home.
They have issues with fire...it tends to create an air chase from the basement to the attic and works as a really good chimney in a fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framing_(construction)

Back