Tile Roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackit

Reaction score
Well I just found out the Paper under my tile roof is shot and now I'm faced with a dilema remove the tiles redeck and reuse as many as possible, Shingles or a metal roof.
Well the first resort would be to coat the roof with? and avoid the process for a few more years. Has anyone run across or used any product?

Thoughts ? I look forward to your posts

Well I just found out the Paper under my tile roof is shot and now I'm faced with a dilema remove the tiles redeck and reuse as many as possible, Shingles or a metal roof.
Well the first resort would be to coat the roof with? and avoid the process for a few more years. Has anyone run across or used any product?

Thoughts ? I look forward to your posts

When you say tiles, what material are you are you referring to? I have heard people refer to their asphalt shingles as "tiles " before.

Why do you have to re-deck if only the underlayment is bad?

Who told you the paper was bad, if only one inspection was preformed, get another opinion.

I'd recommend against any coatings, you will make a bigger mess than you already have and will be throwing good money after bad.

Any hard roof system will generate a lot of heat. When we install slate, concrete tile, clay tile, wood shake and metal roofing, we install over "TAMKO METAL AND TILE" high temp underlayment. The is a peel and stick similar to Weather Watch.

If you have a clay or concrete tile roof and have never installed this type of product before I'd suggest leaving these applications to a pro. They are not installed like a traditional asphalt shingle. Trying to remove and reclaim the old tiles will cause a lot of stress and you will break a lot of these. Matching color, style and texture can be a problem if you don't know the MFG or these are not still in production.

Tile has 2 ways of attachment, they can be direct to deck (not having lugs) or installed over elevated batten strips (with lugs).

Post some pics of the roof you are referring to, pics always helps.

What he said... and please ,please pull a permit for the repairs. They can also help answer your questions, I recommend this because Florida is one of the strictest states in the country, they will make you take it down and start over if someone turns you in. And with a lag in the trades, guy's are turning in competitors left and right....even homeowners.
Just sayin.

And tile roofs are tricky, there are no magic bullets for repairs. Sometimes it's less expensive in the long run to redo the whole thing with something else.
And the last resort is a colorful tarp, until you have the $$.

Thanks guys,
The tiles are on 90# paper with a plywood deck over the trusses.
I have had 2 different roofer "pull back" a couple of tiles and tell me the paper is cracked and that is the cause of the leaks. One estamate for shingles replacment is $7k for that kind of money I can afford to be "jobless" and reroof it myself. I know the requirements have changed in the past few years in Fl. I have wanted to tie the trusses down for years in order strengthen the roof and get the discounts on insurance. So the next question is "If it was your roof and you were more concerned with the roof staying in place in high winds and never have to do this again." What products and what things would you do.
Here are some thoughts
1) Remove decking around the outside wall and tie the truss down to the poured collar.
2) Renail the deck as I go up.
3) Reinsulate the ceiling
4) Replace the ductwork for the A/C. Because of skylights I can not get to the northside of the house to do this.
I look forward to your answers

I am not up on Fl code requirements, so I'd advise calling your local codes office and asking what they require for replacement of the roof.

I know 7 grand sounds like a lot for a roof, but things are crazy in the shingle market and are only going to get worse. We've already seen close to a 40% increase in prices since the first of the year and it doesn't look to be over yet. You might just say that shingle prices are...ready for this...going through the roof :eek:

The hangers we use up here can be added to the outside of the house if the you remove the soffit.

Latest posts

Back