The Cut Off is Where?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archena

Reaction score
I have a spigot near my kennel and it's leaking like crazy. I need to shut it off to repair it but it isn't that close to the house and I'm not sure where to look for the cut off (assuming it has one). I'd rather not cut off all the water to the house if I don't have to. Would the cut off likely be closer to the kennel or in the house?

Thanks!

Look in the basement or crawl space, behind where the spigot exits the exterior wall. If there's a shut-off, it should be there. If your spigot was installed by an amateur, chances are there's no separate shut-off, and you'll need to cut the water to the entire house.

Thanks.

It's not on an exterior wall - it stands alone by the kennel. I can't find a housing or a valve anywhere. Guess I'm doing this the hard way.

Thanks again!

Somewhere in your home there is a pipe that goes outside to feed that faucet. It may or, may not have a valve on it. There should be one...

If you have exposed pipes in a basement or, crawl space follow the coldest of the cold pipes. Especially if you haven't run water elsewhere in quite a while.

Yeah, unfortunately, I can't find an opening to the crawl space. Haven't found the external dryer vent, either which I'm assuming is under there somewhere.

I'm oddly not interested in buying this house...

Anyway, I'll try again. Thanks for the help!

That is such a good thing to know too, even being a renter. I make myself do a review of those kinds of things yearly in the house where I live. I have threatened to mark their location because I just don't ever think about the main shut off. Anyone have any info on NYC plumbing? Thanks for the article.

Back