junction in the service panel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asbestos

Good with caulk
Reaction score
Is it ok to have a wire nutted connection in the service panel?

Is it ok to have a wire nutted connection in the service panel? Yes

If the wire nutted splice is attached to a breaker, then it is OK. However, if the wire nutted connections are part of a pass-through, i.e., using the service panel as a junction box, then it is a big NO-NO.

No It goes to a breaker. In classic newbie form I cut the wire too short. so I was going to splice in an extra 18" to make it around to the breaker.

Everybody makes mistakes. :0) I came up shoty on a 22v line inside a garage one time. Had to put in a j-box. I prefer continuous wire for 220v but it is perfectly OK to use a j-box.

In your case, this pigtail is allowed and it should be no problem. As a personal practice, I tape the connection after applying the wire nut. Just guarantees no slippage.

Spark ON!

Just to be sure, you will have to use larger or same size wire to complete the run.

Happens a lot with service changes (even though I know this wasn't the case here). The wire is not long enough for the new panel, so your choices are to have j-boxes all around the new panel or make your splices in the new panel. You are fine.

Back