Storm on the Horizon

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notmrjohn

Obnoxious Knowitalll
Reaction score
I hope this thing is over hyped. But yall hunker down, tie 'er down, grab a holt of somethin heavy and pray thet the creek don't rise. We're all super intelligent folks here but if you're in the path, make sure you at least do this;
· Have adequate prescription medicines or infant supplies on hand.
· If you or someone you know uses life-support equipment that requires electricity to operate, identify a location with emergency power capabilities and make plans to go there or to a hospital during a prolonged outage.
· Assemble an emergency "storm kit." Include a battery-powered radio or television, flashlight, a first-aid kit, battery-powered or windup clock, extra batteries, special needs items, an insulated cooler and a list of important and emergency phone numbers.
· Keep at least a three-day supply of non-perishable foods and bottled water and have a hand-operated can opener available.
· Have a telephone with a cord or cell phone to use as a backup. Cordless telephones require electricity to operate, and won't work if there is an outage.
· Protect your electronic equipment. Unplug sensitive electronics or plug computers and other sensitive equipment into surge suppressors, and consider a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for temporary battery backup power.
· Turn off power to flood-prone basement appliances if it is safe to do so. However, if you have an electrically operated sump pump, you should not turn off your power.
· Tune in to local news broadcasts for the latest weather and emergency information.
· Follow the advice of your local emergency management officials.
· Take cover if necessary.
· Stay away from downed wires.
There aint no shame in runnin away, nobody has yet repealed an act of gawd. Get back online and let us know how you came thru it all, so's I can stop worryin about yall and get back to bein my usual obmoxious confusin self.

Excellent advice my friend. And don't forget to check on the folks you know that can't look after themselves.

"a hand-operated can opener available. " This is such a simple thing that many folks don't even think about. Some don't even own one.

Always remember your pets, :)Food and meds. ....and take em with you if you leave.

I'm not a meteorologist, nor am I providing advice, but the people I know on that area are saying it was an over hyped.

Austin we can't say "was" till tomorrow at least. But I do hope it was.
Egg on face of news "celebrities," it is to laugh. Who was that SNL character
"Never mind."
Still i tend to over build, so over hype is better than a poke in the eye with an acute angled hypotenuse. Or something. Nine stitches hold better than none. Better sane than sordid, I all ways say. Actually i don't think I ever said that.

Back