Garage Door cables on sides

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMA127

Reaction score
hello. i have a double car garage door. I noticed today that one cable on the side is a little frayed. I assume the chain on the top drives the steel rod to turn which in turn pulls the cable up and that is what makes the door go up. Correct? How dangerous is the cable? Should i change it right away and is it something i can do myself?
Thanks in advance.

I assume the chain on the top drives the steel rod to turn which in turn pulls the cable up and that is what makes the door go up. Correct? correct

How dangerous is the cable? Somewhat dangerous, it's under load

Should i change it right away and is it something i can do myself? depends on the condition of the cable & depends on your skill levle. What I can tell you is that you have to relax the spring(s) before you do anything and that's the dangerous part.

I had garage door issues not too long ago and I ended up calling the professionals. These is no shame in getting someone to look at it, if you are not 100% sure. The company I went with was Garaga, I can vouch for their professionalism. Good luck.

Back