oak flooring got wet & buckled

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donald73d

Reaction score
Several areas in my home have what looks like prefinished 6" wide 5/8" thick T&G oak flooring. It looks solid, not manufactured.
Its floating on thin rubber sheeting from what I can see. During the recent hurricane, a door blew open that I did not notice and an area of the flooring got pretty wet. Its now badly buckled. The door is open past the buckled wood and I cannot close it and its raining again.

I am thinking of putting down 5 gal. paint buckets with a few heavy rocks on top of each over the T&G joints.

I may need to take the door off and re-install it closed or build a cover for the french doors from plastic sheeting until I can close the door.

Ideas?? It looks pretty bad now.

We had a foot of water in our home years ago. We had tongue and grooved oak flooring. The boards were about 3" wide. The whole floor buckled, it looked awful. Several days after the water subsided, the floor went back to normal. We were amazed. We never had to touch it.

I doubt that it's solid. Solids are never to be floated. All you can do is let it dry and see what happens.

Back