Connect 2 smaller sump pump to 1 large sump pump?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skimmilk68

Reaction score
My crawl basement currently has one submersible sump pump and a smaller, hose connected pedestal sump pump.
I'm having flooding issues in parts of the basement that are far away from those pumps so I'm thinking of adding another pedestal pump and directing another line to the main sump pump.

Is this okay?

To give you an idea, the house currently has the main pump under the dining area and the pedestal under the master bedroom. Right now, the bottom left corner of the garage is flooded so i'd like to put another one there.
Colony+Layout.JPG

Directing so many other pumps to the main pump may be too much for the main pump when it gets really wet. How about directing the other pumps somewhere away from the foundation.

Directing so many other pumps to the main pump may be too much for the main pump when it gets really wet. How about directing the other pumps somewhere away from the foundation.

I would like to really avoid having to drill a hole in my foundation... that's so much extra work and tools

perhaps I should just run perhaps i should just run a good french drain system ?

French drain would be much more effective but, if you think drilling a hole in the foundation is work ....

If the first pump is A: powerful and B; hooked up to a nice big pipe you should be able to feel it. A lot has to do with the discharge pipe of the main pump if there are a lot of elbows and fittings and or a lot of rise it will not make it. Remember that a 2" pipe is not double the size of a 1" http://www.advantageengineering.com/fyi/167/advantageFYI167.php that chart may give you a general idea. at sump pump pressures friction loss should not be a big deal. but it will add up
I worked on a dewatering crew and we used to feed 3 pumps into a 55 gal drum with one pump in it the pump in the drum was a tad bigger and had a 3 1/2 or 4" discharge hose. it would more or less keep up.
BUT that said I think kok328 is right. isn't there a foundation vent you could poke a small hole in?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back