ChalkBoard Paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raldo

Reaction score
Has anyone here used Chalkboard paint? Is there anyhting I need to do beyond normal painting measures? Do I need to scratch it up between coats?

Oh yeah. and does anyone know what makes it different?

Hello Raldo,
Good question,
Chalkboard paint is different from most other paints because of its extra durable surface, it is specialty paint and because of that is not required to go through the same testing as your normal everyday wall paint. When applying the chalkboard paint it is important that whatever the surface that you are applying it to be de-glossed, or scuff sanded prior to a coat of primer. This step is important so that the paint hangs onto whatever surface you decide should now be a chalkboard. I prefer a nice dense foam roller because of its minimal texture and the thin coats it applies. Using a foam brush to get into all the small tight areas may make the job much easier. After you are done painting (usually around 2-3 coats are recommended) you will want to wait the suggested time before use. Then a special paint “conditioning” step is required in which you just need to spread an even layer of chalk over the entire surface then you just need to wash it down with a damp towel and your done. Time to put your new custom chalkboard to use.
Jeff

Tx,

It's a Xylene and Acetone mixture that's used for it, which helps give it that chalkboard feel and appearance. All the chemicals evaporate though when they dry, so the surface is completely non-toxic and safe for kids after used.

Back