Interior Lighting Design

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curmudgeon10

Reaction score
I am redoing my shop (530 sq feet in a L shape) and wondering if there is a rule of thumb for specifiying number and type of light fixtures, say for instance, can lighting. Currently I have some cheap shop fluorescents hanging but there isn't enough lighting in some areas.

How do the pro's figure out how many of what type?

Nothing wrong with floresance lighting, cheap to run and they stay cool, why not just add another one in a better spot?

Yep, they are cheap, but you get what you pay for: I've never had one last long enough to require a bulb replacement. It's always the ballast or something that gives up. Also, in a shop, they are dust collectors. Can lighting solves some of those problems.

Turn on all lights when it's dark and check out which areas seem to be darker or in a shadow. Just add some lighting in that region. If you L-shaped room naturally the light from one leg of the room might be blocked out.

An easy way to solve your fixture problem can be using lights that will compliment the wall paint of the shop.

For instance if the walls are plain coloured, you can play around with lights and create a lot of effects that will add to the appeal of the shop. As it is a shop and not a home make sure the fixtures you choose are easy to clean and do not attract dust quickly, as it would not be possible to clean up the place quiet often.

bookerc, I'm getting rid of my cheap Lowe's fluroescent shop lights because they require frequent replacement and are dust gatherers big time. I am planning to replace with can lighting, as much of it as I need of an appropriate type.

So your method doesn't help me, unfortunately, because of the significant difference between the lighting types, the height above work surfaces, the diffusion, etc.

What I am looking for is a rule of thumb or two that would be used by a lighting design person if he or she was presented with a bare 530 sq foot L shaped room and told to light it, but don't use cheap fluroescent shop lights. Sort of like, for a 530 square foot room , with floors and work surfaces 9 to 6 feet below the ceiling you will need between x and y lumens, which can be supplied by z can lights using bulbs with characteristics of ...

The trouble with a forum is when you ask for an opinion, you get them. Opinion's are like a-- h---s , everybody has one. It's one thing to be upset about not getting the right answers but please don't pick on new members.

Who is "picking" on a new member? I specifically asked in my initial question if anyone knew of the rules of thumb used by professionals in designing lighting. Sure, everyone has an opinion. But opinions are not what I asked for.

If I wanted "opinions," I would have posed this question: "My shop is dimly lit. How can I fix that?"

Try adding as many lights in corners, and have them facing outwards kind of...it creates more light for a wider area. Just a tip.

It's a wood shop. There are workstations throughout the space --- table saw, band saw, drill press, router table, chop saw station with outfeed tables, radial arm saw, large workbench on casters, base and wall cabinets for storage, etc. 9 foot ceilings except a long soffit on one side about thirty five feet lowering the ceiling to about 7'6".

Thanks to the poster with the link to the lighting calculator. I believe that is what I need.

Latest posts

Back