New dogwood tree dead?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drw158

Reaction score
We planted a dogwood almost a year ago in October. We live in Nashville, TN which I believe is zone 4. I believe it was a cornelius yellow dogwood, but after googling, it may be a cornelian cherry dogwood. It definitely had yellow in the name. We followed all instructions (full sun and water once a week).

It survived the winter and bloomed a little bit in the spring. I remember reading it blooms early spring. But, in the summer, the leaves turned brown and we thought it was dying. At first my wife thought it was bacteria or the soil, but now we think it's getting scorched in the hot sun. We are using a gator water bag to water it once a week. We upped it to once a day, because we thought it was dying.

Now my wife wants to move it to more shade, but I don't want to because I'm not sure what the problem is, or maybe there is no problem. Could someone look at the photos? What is wrong?

Here is a google album you can look at too: https://photos.app.goo.gl/X6QuR5QrUVSKslJG3

IMG_6549.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_6552.jpg

IMG_6576.jpg

It is fall, the leaves will change colors and fall off. You have nothing to lose to wait until spring. If it doesn't leaf out in the spring "It's dead Jim". I suspect it'll be fine come March/April and is right now.

Thanks y'all, it started looking like that early summer which made me concerned. I'll see if it blooms in the spring. I'm worried about long term, like maybe it'll survive, but it'll just always look scorched.

Back