AC/Heat selection for new room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jingleman

Reaction score
My wife and I are enclosing a porch to create a bonus room. The existing house HVAC system is not enough to handle this additonal square footage. Option one is to put in a new unit capable of handling the entire house. Option two is some type of wall unit. Our contractor is recommending a $3k unit. I feel that is WAY too much. Apparently it seems to be some type of mini split. What other options are out there? Where are some good places to look at units online? We're looking at about 300 square feet with a 10' ceiling. I just can't help but think this is more of a unit than we need. I would like a thermostat and it to be somewhat quiet, and of course relatively efficient as it will run a fair amount as this will become our home office. Thx for the ideas and suggestions!

Option 1 depends on the age of what you already got. Still in good shape, or time for replacement?

Option 2 ....do you really want two independent HVAC systems?

Or........get another opinion, perhaps what you already have, can handle the extra room. Would you trust a generalist for a root canal?

Hi, we built a new great room addition onto our exisiting home a few years ago. Our AC/Electrician installed a 2 ton size for this room...which from what we understand cools/heats up to 1,000 sq. ft. The cost was $3300.00. We have 2 walls of french doors (4 door panel) & a 14 ft. vaulted ceiling. This a/c & heating unit works great! In fact, we're getting reading to install a replacement a/c & heating unit in our upstairs of our home (our house is 20 yrs. old & we're renovating it). A 2 1/2 ton is similar in price...a few hundred $'s more. We live in Louisiana & with the summer heat here....well, we need a good a/c! Looks like your price quote was similar. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back