Is it possible to stain these birch kitchen cabinets dark brown?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeLink

Reaction score
I'm in the process of remodeling my first home (a small condo), and it has the generic birch cabinets you see if all the apartments around here. They're in very good condition, and I'd like to know if it'd be possible to stain them a dark brown. If so, what does the process entail? Doing it myself, how long do you think it would take, and what would you estimate the supplies would cost?

Last edited:
Yep. I just had a local guy do my kitchen. He gave them a rough sanding, wiped them down with a lacquer thinner, then stained them. Afterwards, he shot a coat of clean satin finish to provide a sheen. They also replaced the drawers and door fronts with a special edge I really liked.

07-09-14a.jpg

7-30-14 a.jpg

Wow, that's exactly the look I'm going for. What was the cost of the refinishing? I like the design of my fronts.

New doors, drawers, soft close hinges, slide out pantry shelves, crown, corbels, other misc. woodwork, was approx. $7K.

If I had the time to do it myself, and used my cabinets and drawer fronts, I could have done the job with a few hundred $$'s.

Latest posts

Back