Question regarding Bathroom Exhaust Venting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souza477

Reaction score
Hello All,

Last year during the winter I noticed a trail of water/ice from the bathroom exhaust roof vent along the roof line making its way to the gutter ( a good distance) and forming a small ice block like a small ice dam at the end. I did notice this happens regardless if we take a shower the day or not. The dampers on the both the fan and on the roof cap aren't that great so I assume we are loosing heat regardless. We have been through two winters without a problem so I assume we are safe from leaks as the water is still making its way to the gutter freezing then melting. The house is well insulated/ventilated soffits and roof.

Anyway my question is I wanna install a backdraft damper to limit the heat loss and and prevent wind backdrafts. It is extremely hard to to go the bathroom fan to install it there. Can I either install between the insulated pipe and roof cap or install it three quarters of the way in the insulated flex pipe and join it like a coupler? The benefit of the second option is the connection will have the benefit of being buried in cellulose insulation to ensure its kept warm and avoid any condensation. My main concern with either option will the warm air mixing with the cold air cause the backdraft damper to freeze, less so with option 2?

Am I worried about nothing? What is the best option? or do I just leave it?

It is not feasible for me to replace the roof cap or bathroom fan.

Most fans have a damper of sorts built in. If you remove the motor and fan you can feel it just inside the exit port.

A stream of ice should not be a problem like an ice dam. A dam goes across the roof and stops water from getting to the gutter and then it will back up under the shingles. With a line like you describe, the water will just go around.

Back