vintage general electric fridge

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maura

Reaction score
Hello!

I purchased a vintage (mid 50's) fridge, tested it prior to putting it in the kitchen, and it worked great. But, all I really tested was the small freezer compartment, and water froze, so I figured I was good. However, after installing it in the kitchen, I'm finding that the refrigerator compartment is freezing everything! I can't find a separate regulator, other than the one on the face of the freezer compartment, that mght regulate the temp in the fridge compartment. Any ideas?

See photos

-Maura

ge fridge.JPG

ge fridge 2.JPG

That is all the control you have, you have to balance it so the freezer is just cold enough to do it's job but not so cold for the rest of the unit.

Yes, there may be a little slide door somewhere. You want 0F to 10F in the freezer and about 38F in the rest.

nealtw said:
That is all the control you have, you have to balance it so the freezer is just cold enough to do it's job but not so cold for the rest of the unit.

Any idea how to troubleshoot or adjust it, if the temp doesn't adjust by turning the knob.

Wuzzat? said:
Yes, there may be a little slide door somewhere. You want 0F to 10F in the freezer and about 38F in the rest.

Any idea where that door might be?

When you adjust the freezer temp control leave it for 8 hours to give it a chance to adjust.

woodchuck said:
When you adjust the freezer temp control leave it for 8 hours to give it a chance to adjust.

Thanks, so much, for everyones help! I'll try these this weekend,before my husband tosses it for the junkman

Back