exterior lead paint removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpenns

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time on the forum, I just started a project removing the loose paint from the exterior of my recently purchased, 100 year old house. I have no idea of the paint history of the house, but would I be correct in saying that my best bet is to treat it like it's lead?

If so, what precautions should I take in the stripping process I'm using:
a) pressure washing
b) scraping
c) sanding

The internet tells me I should take all sorts of incredible precautions, if I really had to follow them all I would just hire somebody to do the job. My friend, who is a fairly relaxed painter, tells me that since I'm only doing one house, and not even a full house at that since I'm actually only doing the first floor, I should just wear a dust mask and not worry about it too much.

What do you guys say? I very much appreciate any advise you can give.

They sell lead paint swab kits at Home Depot or Sherwin Williams. Test the different colors. Professionals now have to be certified to work on any home painted before 1978. Their duties include, dust masks, dust suits, covering the ground with plastic, and meticulous steps to prevent any type of contamination. For good reason, lead can be dangerous.

Back