Is this extension cord rated high enough?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eisenfaust8

Reaction score
I have a free standing propane stove for heating that has electrical specification of

"115 volts , 1.3 amps, 60 hz, (150 watts on high)" for the blower.

The power cord is too short for the nearest outlet by inches and has always been plugged into an extension cord. I realized the other day that I should probably determine the quality of said extension cord. The cord is an Electri-cord brand with a sticker that says:

"13A, 125v"

Can someone please tell me if this cord is appropriate? It's been working fine for years, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

The easy test is to feel the cord when the unit is running; if it's too warm (aka hot) to the touch, it is not good. The cord should be at least as heavy as the cord attached to the unit .....16 gauge, 14 gauge....whatever. And the shorter, the better.

The easy test is to feel the cord when the unit is running; if it's too warm (aka hot) to the touch, it is not good. The cord should be at least as heavy as the cord attached to the unit .....16 gauge, 14 gauge....whatever. And the shorter, the better.

Thanks for replying. It's been running for about 45 minutes now and is completely cool to the touch. As to the size comparison, it isn't straightforward since the unit cord is one thick cord and the extension is flat and wide with three wires like | | | if that makes sense....

It is fine. The cord just runs the fan and the stated load is 1.3 the cord is stated 13 so you have a 10:1 safety factor.

The cord he using sounds like a xmas light extension. I would check and see if there is longer cord available for any make of range.

The cord he using sounds like a xmas light extension. I would check and see if there is longer cord available for any make of range.

It is a propane space heater not an oven.

For the OP, always go with the shortest cord possible. Don't use a 100' heavy duty cord coiled up when a 10' cord will do the job. Your blower fan is a pretty light load.

if you look at the literature that came with the unit
or go online and retrieve the literature

the manufacture usually tells you what not to use for an extension

if you can access where the oem cord attaches, see if you can remove it and put in a longer cord the same size as the original cord. The size should be embossed or printed on the cord. Otherwise it seems that the extension cord you're using is safe

Back