DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Bathroom Exhaust Line Tear

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:27 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Bathroom Exhaust Line Tear

I also posted this in the Plumbing section because I wasn't sure of where this goes exactly. This was discovered while working on studs and subfloor so maybe it goes here.

To sum up, we are replacing subfloor upstairs and applying BIN primer in an attempt to get rid of the smell of cat urine in our home. Upon opening up the floor, we noticed that there was a white duct line which seems to be the exhaust line for our downstairs bathroom. The duct line has a tear below it and we can see what appears to be new signs of water leakage on a piece of framing. There is also a tiny sliver of blackness (1/16'' to 1/8'') on the edge of an I-joist on the wall where the exhaust line exits the house. I have pictures below.

I do not believe we did anything in particular to cause this as we only removed subfloor but this was visible soon after we removed the subfloor. Not sure if it is just a coincidence and we are lucky we happened to be opening the subfloor at this time. I was wondering if we need to call in a professional to fix this or this is something easy we can repair. What alarms me is that there appears to be mildew on the exhaust line as well and I have no idea how extensive it is.

damage on board where exhaust exits house at the top of the picture

mildew

kinda hard to see but this the tear under the line

exhaust exit

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:10 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1380 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 403

If this were my house, I'd remove the cheap plastic line and replace it with metal pipe. Just my

Old 07-05-2015, 04:02 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

The exhaust line runs from my first floor half bath up to the second floor under the subfloor. Complete replacement would be my preference but it looks as though I would have to do a lot of work.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:17 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1380 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 403

When's the next time you will have access open again? I think it will be a while till you're this close again. If it's torn where you can see, what's hidden you don't see?
havasu Likes This 
Old 07-05-2015, 06:19 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

I doubt I would have a reason anytime soon to reopen. I cannot see the full path it takes to get to the bathroom. I only have a small section of my upstairs open. Looking under the subfloor with a flashlight I can see it go straight for maybe 6 or 7 feet and then it veers to the side and takes some route I cannot see to the downstair bath.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:21 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2914 Times on 2555 Posts
Likes Given: 4800

Change whart you can see now evan remove some more subfloor and change as much as possible.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:51 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

Is it common to direct the bathroom fan exhaust out the side of the house like that instead of the roof?

Old 07-05-2015, 08:59 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Yes and it is better if it is insulated so the air stays warm until it gets outside, Or moisture will condence in the duct work.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 PM  
thapranksta
Home DIY Newbie

Thanks guys. Now I need to decide if I should hire someone to do this for me or should I attempt this myself.

The only insulation was on the wall right at the exit point.

Edit: Looks like I will need a ladder to reach the vent outside on the brick wall.

Last edited by thapranksta; 07-05-2015 at 10:08 PM.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:46 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

If you can get to to inside where it enters the brick you may not need to reach the outside at all.