DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > Largest AC on Standard wall plug???

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:24 AM  
Krich
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So when the manufacturer says "Exclusive V-shaped, serrated back-wiring clamps for superior contact".... I should not believe them?

I know looping the wire around the screw on the side is how it's been done since 1932 or whenever, but isn't it possible that a manufacturer came out with a better internal clamp so the wire can be stuck in the back and good contact is made?

I'm just having a hard time understanding why Leviton would say they have developed "Exclusive V-shaped, serrated back-wiring clamps for superior contact" and that not actually be true.

Seems like if that were not true it would cause legal problems and trust problems for their company.

Best I can tell, Leviton is supposed to be a major player in electrical products.

Is this not a good brand, and if not... what brand should I be using for the best product that is considered to be safer than Leviton?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2920 Times on 2560 Posts
Likes Given: 4808

It is a good brand and like I said I would not expect a problem.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:47 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 423 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use to by leviton recep. at bace hdw for $.35 when the "back-stabs" would accept both 15 and 12ga conductors.

The product hasn't changed, just evolved and improved.

What they are attempting to do is satisfy a market, no seek the lowest common denominator.

If an auto were only available in green and yellow polka-dots.....................?

Use either the side wired or the commercial grade that the conductors enter from the back and are secured using the screw clamp.
People Like This 
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 AM  
Krich
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well, we can put a man on the moon as they say so there's no reason why a securing wires thru the back in not something that can be done just as safely as securing them on the side.

Seems to me mankind now has the technology to accomplish this...

I suspect the biggest issue is "we never did it like that" so some are going to suggest that something is wrong with putting the wires in from the back.

The whole reason I paid a little extra to get the "medical grade" version is because that appeared to be the best that was available.

All I know if I stuck the wires in the back, tightened the screws down real good, and then I tried pulling the wires out to make sure they were secure, so hopefully Leviton knows what they are talking about and aren't screwing people with their claim that this unit provides "Exclusive V-shaped, serrated back-wiring clamps for superior contact"

Old 07-25-2017, 11:24 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

You are way to laid back, you should stand up and hauler when some one slights anything you say.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:40 AM  
Krich
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Some things seems to be spoken in in code so if someone some one slights what I said... I'm not sure I would even know.

My main thing is why would a major company say something about one of their products if it were not true?

I also understand the personal preference of doing things a certain way when that's how they have been done for years and years.

I'm a automotive technician by trade and I'm the same way on some stuff related to working on vehicles and sometimes don't want to hear how these young whipper snappers are doing it

So, apologies to the guys that believe using the screws on the side is the only way to go...

Old 07-25-2017, 11:58 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krich View Post
Some things seems to be spoken in in code so if someone some one slights what I said... I'm not sure I would even know.

My main thing is why would a major company say something about one of their products if it were not true?

I also understand the personal preference of doing things a certain way when that's how they have been done for years and years.

I'm a automotive technician by trade and I'm the same way on some stuff related to working on vehicles and sometimes don't want to hear how these young whipper snappers are doing it

So, apologies to the guys that believe using the screws on the side is the only way to go...
I think most people here are just trying to pass along their experience to save other people the time and experience of learning the hard way.

Most of us are used to everything getting cheaper and cheaper and quality going down hill.
I am not sure there are a lot of people that follow the outlet industry close enough to know when there has been a break thru in technology.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:08 PM  
Krich
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
I am not sure there are a lot of people that follow the outlet industry close enough to know when there has been a break thru in technology
If we can believe what Leviton says about this receptacle, there has been a break through and they call this an exclusive.

So maybe it is yet to be seen if we can trust what Leviton says or not.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:19 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krich View Post
If we can believe what Leviton says about this receptacle, there has been a break through and they call this an exclusive.

So maybe it is yet to be seen if we can trust what Leviton says or not.
I think most things like this have a life some will live longer and some shorter.
So when they are at the end of life something has gone bad.
Maybe it could be the connection. The connections are screws or back stabs.
If a electrician only replaces old outlets that are back stabbed but only sees outlets that are back stabbed he can't really say one is worse or better.

If he finds one in a house that has failed, the rest of the house will also have back stabs with out a problem.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:26 PM  
Krich
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hopefully Leviton knows what they are talking about and aren't screwing people with their claim that this unit provides "Exclusive V-shaped, serrated back-wiring clamps for superior contact"

Like a lot of things I guess, only time will tell...