DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Swing set in covered patio

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:39 PM  
Wuzzat?

Liked 168 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 95

With two heavy people swinging, see if there's movement at the top of the posts at right angles to the path of the swing. You could use a stepladder with a horizontal stick close to the beam tops and watch how the gap between the stick end and the post changes.

IDK how much movement is excessive. More importantly, does this movement get larger with time?

You can always add a brace or gusset plate to make the beam top more rigid.

For your eyehook the pullout or pullthrough or pullover forces for screw sizes into different types of wood are on the Web. For 300 lbs total non-moving load I'd have each of two screws take at least 600 lbs pullout.

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 07-04-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:26 PM  
alfonsocp
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thank you All! It makes sense. I will pay attention to both the top and bottom post connections when I test the swing. I will remove the trim that covers the joint between the column and the beam and leave it open for a while to watch out for anything suspicious...

Wuzzat - I read somewhere 1/2in diameter screw eyes with threaded shank at least 4 inches long should do it. Will confirm how much pullout force that would withstand..

Old 07-05-2017, 11:12 AM  
Wuzzat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsocp View Post
Will confirm how much pullout force that would withstand..
Into fir. . .into hardwoods are a whole 'nother story.

What I did when there is personal safety involved is to have another short length of chain/rope/whatever in parallel.
If the primary support fails the users in this case get a jolt but they don't land on their butts.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:42 PM  
Sparky617
Liked 255 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 158

You might want to go a little heavier duty than an eye bolt. I used something like these to hang a swing under my deck. I had them leftover after I dismantled the swing set my kids used when they were young. I had picked it up used and moved it twice. So when it was time to get rid of it, I recycled the wood into mountain bike bridges and saved the hardware.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PlayStar-Me...Hanger/3661214
slownsteady Likes This 
Old 07-05-2017, 02:31 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 419 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfonsocp View Post
Thank you All! It makes sense. I will pay attention to both the top and bottom post connections when I test the swing. I will remove the trim that covers the joint between the column and the beam and leave it open for a while to watch out for anything suspicious...

Wuzzat - I read somewhere 1/2in diameter screw eyes with threaded shank at least 4 inches long should do it. Will confirm how much pullout force that would withstand..
Keep in mind the length of the eye bolt and remember that you loose 3/4" in the width of the trim when computing the penetration and pull-out.

Also when you pull the trim around the post to header connection you should be able to tell if the header is dimensional lumber or was composed of pieces of 2X lumber melded together.

Dimensional lumber will measure 3.5", and a composed header will probably only measure 3".

Driving a threaded bolt, centered, into a composed header stands the possibility of causing separation of the header elements. The cure would be additional fasteners to pull the header elements back together.

The hangers referenced by sparky are another alternative for composed headers, and are typical of playground equipment found in schools and parks and lagscrews can be substituted for those packaged.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:26 PM  
Wuzzat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky617 View Post
With 8 fasteners you may have a "graceful failure" where the users sense that something is wrong.

"Tested and rated to 350 lbs.; actual weight limit according to ASTM standards is 105 lbs. maximum"
implies a safety factor of 350/105 equals about 3.5. The industry wide factor shown on the Hillman Hardware site was 4, I think.

The fasteners for very heavy chandeliers that could land on someone have a lot higher safety factor.

But, you could always just count bodies. . .
http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Last edited by Wuzzat?; 07-05-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:38 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2914 Times on 2555 Posts
Likes Given: 4800

The more I look at this the less I like it. The amount of damage that would happen with a small failure. Never mind the person on the swing or near by.

The beam is just to wobbly on the posts and may even be joined over the second post.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:21 PM  
bud16415
Fixer Upper
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1434 Times on 1098 Posts
Likes Given: 774

It is a lot safer to toss a rope over an old tree limb and tie a tire to it and put your kid in it and give them what we used to call an (Under Duck).

I did mention half the houses in town have a porch swing here most are hung from two clothes line hooks screwed into ceiling joists. But on second thought those were all hung up just after WW2.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:10 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1129 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 1846

I'm with sparky on this one. i used a "standard" eye bolt to replace an old one, hung my Air Chair on it, and it just a short time I could see the bolt starting to wear. In addition, it made a horrible grinding noise when I swung in the chair.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:37 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 419 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Besides which, were you to double them, at each suspension point, and suspend your porch glider from a "Y" configuration, there shouldn't be a weight concern.