DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > double stacked ceiling fan switch #913




Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 PM  
Mr_David
Easily Amused
 
Mr_David's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Santee, Calif
Posts: 35
Liked 21 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default double stacked ceiling fan switch #913

I have this ceiling fan and the pull chain light switch broke.
Not a problem. That switch is pretty common.

The 3 speed fan switch is my concern.
The plastic threaded end that holds it to the housing is broken.
It works in conjunction with a small transformer.
I don't think a standard 3 way switch that is available at the box stores will work.

I need a double stacked #913 switch.
I got this from a link I found in comments on a how to YouTube video
http://www.dansfancity.com/techhelp/parts/switches.htm

The 3rd switch down is the one I am pretty sure is what I have.
I have some pictures I will try to post later.
I made a schematic of what I have.

I just like to understand how some things work.

Where can I find a switch like this?


Click image for larger version

Name:	double stack.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	14323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0001.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	14324  
Mr_David is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:45 AM  
afjes_2016
Established Member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: , Northeast PA - USA
Posts: 246
Liked 109 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Default

No a 3 way switch would not probably work in this case. A 3 way switch is intended to turn on/off lights/devices from more than one location.

If the fan is moderately a newer fashion fan. Maybe just a few years old the fans normally come with a replacement parts list. If you don't have that you can look it up on the internet. Sometimes it is just better to buy the exact same one that the manufacturer used. It may cost you a few more dollars but far less guess work involved.

I had a customer that bought a bunch of ceiling fans from an auction. Many were missing parts. I went through the parts lists for all of them and ordered the parts and the fans are doing just fine (we put all of them in the same renovation project). Even with the costs of the parts they bought they made out well in the investment.


__________________

To the OP (O.riginal P.oster to this thread/topic).

If at any time you do not feel confident enough to perform a trouble shooting method that I suggest or feel you may not have the experience or comfort level to do so please ask questions before proceeding.
Electricity is dangerous and if not handled properly can cause serious injury or worse!
afjes_2016 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:50 AM  
aNYCdb
Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 60
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

I am by no means an expert on fans, but I had a similar issue and I wound up forgetting the fan's direct control and installing a Lutron Maestro Duo switch (which came with a direct wire canopy control).

At it's core those pull wires aren't triggering specific changes in the fan they are just cycling preset electrical outputs, so you can just bypass them with a different controller.
aNYCdb is offline  
bud16415 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:56 PM  
Mr_David
Easily Amused
 
Mr_David's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Santee, Calif
Posts: 35
Liked 21 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNYCdb View Post
I am by no means an expert on fans, but I had a similar issue and I wound up forgetting the fan's direct control and installing a Lutron Maestro Duo switch (which came with a direct wire canopy control).

At it's core those pull wires aren't triggering specific changes in the fan they are just cycling preset electrical outputs, so you can just bypass them with a different controller.

I'll check it out. I could just put a new fan in but you know the old saying.
" they don't make things like they used to. Seems to all be crap."

Fixing this one is that need to tinker. keeps me out of trouble.

The part that concerns me is how the switch works in conjunction with the transformer.

position 1: OFF

position 2 : high speed.
( top) purple to fan Direction Switch
(bottom) gray energized to transformer

I am guessing that because the purple wire from the top switch is not effected by the transformer that the energized gray to transformer has no effect on the motor speed

position 3: medium speed
(bottom ) both brown and gray are energized
changing the out put of the purple from the transformer.

Position4: low speed
( bottom) only the brown is energized

I am Not and electrician but I do understand some things about it.


Question???
The charged lines to the transformer; do they reduce the voltage output on the purple line?
Mr_David is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:14 AM  
aNYCdb
Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 60
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_David View Post
I'll check it out. I could just put a new fan in but you know the old saying.
" they don't make things like they used to. Seems to all be crap."

Fixing this one is that need to tinker. keeps me out of trouble.

The part that concerns me is how the switch works in conjunction with the transformer.

position 1: OFF

position 2 : high speed.
( top) purple to fan Direction Switch
(bottom) gray energized to transformer

I am guessing that because the purple wire from the top switch is not effected by the transformer that the energized gray to transformer has no effect on the motor speed

position 3: medium speed
(bottom ) both brown and gray are energized
changing the out put of the purple from the transformer.

Position4: low speed
( bottom) only the brown is energized

I am Not and electrician but I do understand some things about it.


Question???
The charged lines to the transformer; do they reduce the voltage output on the purple line?
I'll defer to the the experts on this, but generally speaking there are two kinds of fans those that adjust speed by powering (or not) different windings in the motor or those that supply the motor with different wattage through some sort of resistance mechanism (in this case a step down transformer). Based on the way you describe the wiring the transformer doesn't seem to be used to power a DC motor in the fan.

It might also be helpful if you can get us a picture of the setup.
aNYCdb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:27 PM  
Mr_David
Easily Amused
 
Mr_David's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Santee, Calif
Posts: 35
Liked 21 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

So you think the transformer changes the wattage?

Here is some photos
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-18 fan switch 001.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	14343   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-18 fan switch 005.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	14344   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-18 fan switch 017.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	14345   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-07-18 fan switch 012.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	14346  
Mr_David is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:45 PM  
Mr_David
Easily Amused
 
Mr_David's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Santee, Calif
Posts: 35
Liked 21 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

I'm thinking the 1st thing I should have done was identify the Fan.

Sears. But did Sears make it or just cone it?

Off on another search and destroy mission.

Sears has a parts list but parts not available.
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	14347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2037.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	14348  

Last edited by Mr_David; 07-20-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Mr_David is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:05 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired
 
nealtw's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 23,350
Liked 2914 Times on 2555 Posts
Likes Given: 4800

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_David View Post
I'm thinking the 1st thing I should have done was identify the Fan.

Sears. But did Sears make it or just cone it?

Off on another search and destroy mission.

Sears has a parts list but parts not available.
Just go stare at the wall in the bathroom for a while it will make sense after a while
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:32 PM  
aNYCdb
Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 60
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Ok, so unless I'm missing something I don't see a transformer, just a two capacitor setup (which is fairly common). I believe that a standard 2 capacitor switch (they usually come in 1, 2, or 3) is all you need. I believe you can get this at Big Orange for about $4.
aNYCdb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:57 PM  
Mr_David
Easily Amused
 
Mr_David's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Santee, Calif
Posts: 35
Liked 21 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNYCdb View Post
Ok, so unless I'm missing something I don't see a transformer, just a two capacitor setup (which is fairly common). I believe that a standard 2 capacitor switch (they usually come in 1, 2, or 3) is all you need. I believe you can get this at Big Orange for about $4.
Thanks. I think you're right about the transformer. I got that term from the side note in the first picture I posted in regards to the switch shunting.
But the more I look into this I have seen it referred to it as a capacitor.

The switch I need for medium speed has to simultaneously connect both gray and brown with the black on the bottom half of the switch. So it has to be a 3 pole connection, like the picture above.

I see a lot of 3 speed fan switches but nothing to show me the shunting inside the switch so I can get what I need.
I guess I can make it a 2 speed fan but I would prefer the 3 speed.


I did this:
position 2 = high speed
Amp meter on: purple wire to Fan Direction Switch > .706 amps
Gray wire to capacitor > .000 amps

The bottom stack pole #3 is hot ( 120 vac ) and circuit closed to #2 ( Gray )
Because output line from capacitor is connected to purple line coming from upper switch is currently energized for high speed ( unimpeded by the capacitor ) there is ZERO power flowing through this line.


position 3 = medium speed
Gray > .248 amps and Brown > .208 amps
Purple output from capacitor > .415 amps

position 4 = low speed
Brown > .221 amps
Purple output from capacitor > .211 amps

I am not an electrician, but I can follow a schematic , sort of , to a point.

Maybe I just have to change the capacitor to but existing has 3 wires And the replacements I see have 4 or 5


Someone suggested using a remote speed control on the main high speed wire but I also have a light on the same wall switch so they share the same power supply.. I guess I could rewire the wall switch but I really don't want to crawl in to the attic.



Last edited by Mr_David; 07-22-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Mr_David is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Stacked Stone tsargentjr Roofing and Siding 4 06-03-2016 12:52 PM
Sagging double-layered ceiling chumpy2003 Walls and Ceilings 4 08-08-2015 03:28 PM
single-pole double-throw switch kentannenbaum Electrical and Wiring 6 01-28-2011 05:59 AM
Ceiling fan with 4 way switch. gan_nair Electrical and Wiring 4 08-13-2008 06:12 PM
double switch hoarea Electrical and Wiring 7 04-13-2008 08:02 PM



Newest Threads