Hinge placement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartiDee

Reaction score
I'm hanging a custom round top door. The door is 30" wide by 77" tall overall and the round top has a 15" radius. Therefore, I have only 62" of straight vertical jamb in which to install my hinges. Where do I put them? I'm guessing I want one near the top of the vertical jamb, but how close to the bottom should I put the other? Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

The common standard is 7" from the top and 11" from the bottom for two hinges. You can center a third hinge is necessary. Keep the hinge pins in order (older doors) to match them to their original hinges.

Another hint ... Get a self-centering bit so your screws are perfectly aligned with the holes in the hinge. Really improves your craftsmanship.

Centering.jpg

I don't think there is a rule for curved top door, Using the 7" rule for the top leaves the hinge 22" from the top. I would cheat it up closer to the curve

The point at which the vertical jamb eases into the radius should be considered the "top." Measure 7" down from there and that's your spot. No way to put a flat hinge on a curved surface, right? So, 62" - 7" puts you at 55" from the bottom and an 11" off the bottom and a 44" gap. You could add a third hinge in the middle, centered on 22" or 33" from the bottom (o.c.).

Back