80,000 Gallons in 3mos - WTF!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilG

Reaction score
Post is going to be a little long, but some of it is my fault and inexperience with paying attention to leak issues.
----------------------------------------------------
Since we pay the bill automatically, I did not realize that it was continually going up until I opened it the other day. $450--:eek:
There are only 2 ppl in the house! So I went on a mission to fix leaks. I noticed the toilets had made noises in the past but it would go away.

I noticed one leak where the toilet was continually filling and draining out the refill tube..I have shut off the water to that toilet and will replace tomorrow with a new kit. Builder put crappy (IMHO) flush kit in all toilets.

I replaced another toilet with a new flush kit today. AND I knew about a leak in the bathtub, BUT it wasnt that bad and only happened after showers UNTIL I put a glass underneath and left it overnight and the glass was full. Called Kohler to get a replacement, after about a week recieved parts that did not fit the shower. (if any one knows where I get new rubber seals for K-304-K shower kit plz let me know; Kohler did not know what that number meant). So in the meantime, I used the sealant that came with the kit and put it on all the rubber rings. This slowed the leak TREMENDOUSLY, but it did not stop it completely, now the glass on fills about 3 in a day.

At least I learned something from all this, watch that water bill! I do have a question, if all of this cost about $40 to fix do I have any hope the water company will help with bill (lou, ky).

Lastly, I do notice that my grass is also greener by the meter. I read another post about checking the meter so I will try that tomorrow as well.

Thanks for reading.

Post is going to be a little long, but some of it is my fault and inexperience with paying attention to leak issues.
----------------------------------------------------
Since we pay the bill automatically, I did not realize that it was continually going up until I opened it the other day. $450--:eek:
There are only 2 ppl in the house! So I went on a mission to fix leaks. I noticed the toilets had made noises in the past but it would go away.

I noticed one leak where the toilet was continually filling and draining out the refill tube..I have shut off the water to that toilet and will replace tomorrow with a new kit. Builder put crappy (IMHO) flush kit in all toilets.

I replaced another toilet with a new flush kit today. AND I knew about a leak in the bathtub, BUT it wasnt that bad and only happened after showers UNTIL I put a glass underneath and left it overnight and the glass was full. Called Kohler to get a replacement, after about a week recieved parts that did not fit the shower. (if any one knows where I get new rubber seals for K-304-K shower kit plz let me know; Kohler did not know what that number meant). So in the meantime, I used the sealant that came with the kit and put it on all the rubber rings. This slowed the leak TREMENDOUSLY, but it did not stop it completely, now the glass on fills about 3 in a day.

At least I learned something from all this, watch that water bill! I do have a question, if all of this cost about $40 to fix do I have any hope the water company will help with bill (lou, ky).

Lastly, I do notice that my grass is also greener by the meter. I read another post about checking the meter so I will try that tomorrow as well.

Thanks for reading.

http://www.kitchen-bath-plus.com/product_info.php/products_id/2120

Water leaks can be expensive, as you found out. There is little hope that the water company will give you a break since the leaking water, so far, has gone to the drains. Many companies have sewage as an additional cost and will forego the charges for an outside leak that didn't go to the sewer. Check the meter and look at the little red triangle. This is a leak detector and should turn with even the smallest amount of water flowing through the meter.

Looks like there was a leak right at the water meter just spraying away. The hole where the meter is was FULL of water. So at least I will get some adjustment on my bill.. THANK GOD!!!

Also Kohler had the k304K part on back order. So I will recieve that shortly. According to the water co, I will get some adjustment on my bill..I wonder how far back... THANK GOD!!!

Thanks for everyone's assistance. I know next time. :D

Latest posts

Back