Non-central A/C options for 60's ranch house?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loki

Reaction score
Sorry in advance if I use any of the wrong terminology.

I have an early 60's ranch house, with original single pane windows. A section of the window opens on a hinge (you push it open). Is it possible for me to use any kind of window installed A/C unit with this type of window?

If not, what other (non-central) A/C options do I have? It is about to get hot, and I am feeling a little desperate.

I have spent hours online trying to figure this out, and I must not be using the right search terms, because I am not finding the answers I need. Any help would be appreciated.

You would have to remove the hinge screws and take that portion of the window completely out. Then install you A/C unit and fill in around it with wood or something that will seal up the remainder of the opening that will provide some R-value and look.

You would have to remove the hinge screws and take that portion of the window completely out. Then install you A/C unit and fill in around it with wood or something that will seal up the remainder of the opening that will provide some R-value and look.

Thank you so much, kok328, I will look into doing this.

A condo complex down the road from me has them built into extireor walls. I don't know if that's what you can buy or if the modify a window unit.

Back