Gfci protection

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey9626

Reaction score
Im unclear as to what i need for my bathroom circuit. the code reads. ground-fault protection shall be provided for all 125-volt, 15 and 20 amp receptacle outlets installed in bathrooms. also a hydro-massage bathtuds (with a recirculating piping system, designed to discharge water upon each use.) shall be supplied by an indivdual branch circuit with gfci protection.
My questions are do i need the protection at the receptacle or at the breaker? And does this code apply to a airtub it does not recirculate water?

For the tub it is usually easier to use a GFCI breaker because the plug is hidden behind an access panel. If in doubt err on the conservative side and put a gfci breaker in for the tub recirculating or not. No harm in it.

As for bathroom receptacles. It depends how everything is wired. a breaker may be easier and outlet may be. essentially each outlet must be protected. if you have an outlet built into an old fixture then you will need a breaker.

FYI- an outlet can be GFI protected w/o actually being a GFI outlet.

Latest posts

Back