Solid Fir Nine Light, Glazing?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainsford

Reaction score
I am in yr. 20 of eternal repair, remodel, renovate, my 100 yr old house.Found and joined this forum 10 min. ago. Just bought a fir entry door, nine light from Lowes. Looks to be a true divided light. There is no glazing compound or removable stop on the mullions. How is a pane replaced? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Lay the door on padded or otherwise protected saw horses.
Cut a 2 inch by 12 inch slot in a 2 foot square piece of plywood.
Clamp the plywood to the door over the mullions using the slot as an edge guide.
Use a router with a 1/2 dado bit and a pattern guide on the base to remove enough material to remove the glass. Set the router to a depth short of touching the glass and finish the cut with a knife.

Those doors are assembled around the panes to save time and materials in manufacturing. I don't believe they have any regard for the average homeowner who realistically might have to replace a pane of glass. Your local glass company will likely use a different router template to remove the glass and they will do it all in one cut. Makes it seem simple but the repair will never exactly match the rest of the door.

Back