~ My first home, my first project. (not 56k friendly)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell me again that you have a vent fan in the bathroom to get rid of the moisture...I would hate to see the pics in a couple of months with the peeling paint and mildew on the walls.

Tell me again that you have a vent fan in the bathroom to get rid of the moisture...I would hate to see the pics in a couple of months with the peeling paint and mildew on the walls.

Sure do, one of the lights is a Vent/Light combo

You just cannot tell nowadays...now I can get a good nights rest.:D:D
Thanks for the reply.:)

please forgive me for all the "stupid" qustions I am asking. you are allowed to laugh but I am just trying to learn remodeling as a part time career not as DIY but paying someone to do it for me.

Can I have tips about building a bathroom (in already covered ares next to garage) from a scratch.
I have used vanity and tub. can I use it in this remodeling job or should I buy new stuff. Will the used stuff cause a problem?

what should be a price range for an average sized bathroom?

Well done. It's pretty cool to see the progression from start to finish.

please forgive me for all the "stupid" qustions I am asking. you are allowed to laugh but I am just trying to learn remodeling as a part time career not as DIY but paying someone to do it for me.

Can I have tips about building a bathroom (in already covered ares next to garage) from a scratch.
I have used vanity and tub. can I use it in this remodeling job or should I buy new stuff. Will the used stuff cause a problem?

what should be a price range for an average sized bathroom?

If you aren't going for looks I don't see a problem using used stuff, assuming it's in good condition. The biggest headache is going to be the sewage plumbing and supply lines for your water. It all seems easy until you start fitting pipes in cramped areas. That will also be the most expensive if you are looking at paying someone to have it done.

For kicks we had a pro plumber come do an estimate for everything that we were planning to do in regard to the sewage and water lines, and we were quoted at $4,500.

I said NO WAY!

I've crunched some #s and this whole bathroom project is going to end at under $2500 when COMPLETE. That's all my plumbing, vanity, sink, shower, toilet, tile, etc. and that's all brand NEW. You just gotta plan plan plan and scope out the deals at your local home improvement stores.

If you are paying to have it all done a modest bathroom will still run you $5,000+ depending on how fancy you get.

If you have the time and willingness to learn, it's worth it to DIY. Plus, you'll have a valuable skill you can sell to others later on :)

Spent a few weeks in Mexico for work so that set back my progress. Here is what's new:

Laminate and Trim down in the upstairs bedroom:

DSCF4988Stitch.jpg

Door, trim, and tile for the bathroom:

DSCF4971.jpg

DSCF4972.jpg

DSCF4975.jpg

Bathroom pretty much complete (sink, toilet, shower, etc)

DSCF4976Stitch.jpg

DSCF4972Stitch.jpg

DSCF4983.jpg

Stairs carpeted:

DSCF4996.jpg

DSCF4999.jpg

Office carpeted:

DSCF5001.jpg

Just have a few finishing touches to go and I can start on the kitchen!

We've done the transition peces for the floor on the main floor and upstairs, and finally started on the kitchen. Took everything out, and am going to patch up the walls and tear out the five layers of old floor that it has. This would be the kitchen and bath as they are, as well as the beginning of of the tearout:
DSCF5026Stitch.jpg

DSCF5019StitchStitch.jpg

DSCF5019Stitch.jpg

DSCF5030.jpg

We've torn our the kitchen and bathroom floor, fixtures, etc. Doing a complete remodel for the kitchen but still undecided on the bathroom. The only things I would keep would be the tub/tile.

DSCF5162.jpg

DSCF5163.jpg

DSCF5164.jpg

Drywall touched up, mostly primered, cementboard in, and tile coming together.

IMAGE_153.jpg

IMAGE_154.jpg

IMAGE_155.jpg

IMAGE_156.jpg

IMAGE_158.jpg

IMAGE_159.jpg

This is where I'm at, we need to grout this weekend and maybe tear out the rest of the bath while I wait for my cabinets and countertops to come in.

Forgot to add; If you ever install a new door CHECK THE FLOOR CLEARANCE!!!!!

We had to uninstall the door you see in the kitchen and re-install it because we needed to gain about 1/2" clearance for the cement board + tile. That was half a day wasted that could have been avoided.

Quick shot of the grouting in the kitchen done, patching on the walls complete, and painted:

DSCF5165Stitch.jpg

Did a much better job grouting this than the upstairs :) .

Looking great! Is that a tube light in the kitchen ceiling?

I feel wooozy after lookin at that picture.:D
Nice job, looks like your almost moovin in soon.:)

You are a working machine, which inspires us to keep going. We still haven't done our flooring for the kitchen great room. Your tile looks good. We'll be getting our kitchen cabinets from IKEA. There is so much more to do, not to mention a few electrical surprises. Keep posting bathroom updates. Our bathroom will have to wait until winter 09.

Looking great! Is that a tube light in the kitchen ceiling?

Thanks, yes it's a tube light, it actually take two but one was bright enough! I do want to switch it out for a warm bulb, this cool lighting actually makes me feel somewhat sick to my stomach, idk what it is.

I feel wooozy after lookin at that picture.:D
Nice job, looks like your almost moovin in soon.:)

Lol, I'm getting addicted to photo stitching, it makes indoor shots more fun to share and gets things into perspective. That picture was actually composed of 10 different shots, and it still came out far from perfect.

and I actually moved in this week!

My makeshift bed is composed of an airbed, a couple sleeping bags, and some sheets:

DSCF5178Stitch.jpg

I don't mind living in a construction zone so long as a have a good shower to tidy up in (right now the upstairs).

You are a working machine, which inspires us to keep going. We still haven't done our flooring for the kitchen great room. Your tile looks good. We'll be getting our kitchen cabinets from IKEA. There is so much more to do, not to mention a few electrical surprises. Keep posting bathroom updates. Our bathroom will have to wait until winter 09.

I ordered my cabinets from Menard's, I actually have no idea what brand they are, I just discussed the build, woods, finishes etc and got the brand that best suited what I needed. And they came in this week! So you'll definietely see some more progress this weekend.

I'm dreading doing my main bath however; I cant get any colors to coordinate with the tile that's there, I don't want to tear it out, and apparently painting tile is a no go for high moisture areas. That's a whole diff story though, that will come soon enough.

Latest posts

Back