building a door frame

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romeo_repair

Reaction score
first of all, this is not my house. my rent is incredibly cheap. my apt has no front door, if i want one. i have to do it & pay for it. so where can i find plans to build my own door frame?

Let me get this straight, you have an apt with no front door and really cheap rent...... what keeps bums, dogs, cats, squirrels, roaming bands of marauders from gaining access to you and your valuables?

That's why his rent is really cheap.
Are you cutting into a wall or installing into an existing opening?
Plans for a door opening can be found all over the internet, you just have to google it.

existing opening

That's why his rent is really cheap.
Are you cutting into a wall or installing into an existing opening?
Plans for a door opening can be found all over the internet, you just have to google it.

Just did a quick google on "framing a door opening".
Got plenty of results. What part are still not sure of?

If there's an existing opening, You should be able to just take some measurements (height and width) then goto Lowes or Home Depot and get a pre-hung exterior door and just fit it into the opening? Pre-hung doors come with the frame around them.

Pick up a pack of shims while your there, this will allow you to plumb and level the door as well as give you some solid points to run your screws in without bowing the jamb. 32" wide or bigger for egress an door.

yes i know, id rather not spend money tho. the door & spare lumber are already here, just need a quik plan. franki

If there's an existing opening, You should be able to just take some measurements (height and width) then goto Lowes or Home Depot and get a pre-hung exterior door and just fit it into the opening? Pre-hung doors come with the frame around them.

Latest posts

Back