Insulating floor above crawl

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmersonHart13

Reaction score
I am going to insulate my floor above my crawl. I have ducting that runs between the joists in some spots. What is the proper technique for insulating these runs? Do I use thinner insulation and jam it into the little remaing space? or?

Yes I have a vapor barrier on the floor, the crawl is vented, and the the face of the insulation will up towards the floor.

Thanks,

John

P.S. I can take pictures if necessary.

you want full value under the pipes too, When I did it we found some orange perferated plastic sheeting that is used for fencing at construction site and used that to hold bats in place.

I am going to insulate my floor above my crawl. I have ducting that runs between the joists in some spots. What is the proper technique for insulating these runs? Do I use thinner insulation and jam it into the little remaing space? or?

Yes I have a vapor barrier on the floor, the crawl is vented, and the the face of the insulation will up towards the floor.

Thanks,

John

P.S. I can take pictures if necessary.

you want to use glass insulation with no paper on it, it needs to breath all the way through. If you have any moisture at all down there it will trap it up against the wood floor. I have seen a lot of floors rotted out from this
Where i live in northern Mi , we have to heat the crawl some to maintain
the water lines from getting too cold. I tell people to put 1 to 2" of foam
board on the block walls, then in the winter months seal off the crawl space and the heat you lose from the duct will heat this space and keep your floors warm. you also will not rot out you floor.
I have taken out a lot of electric heat and they had insulated the floor.
Both floors and joist are in bad shape. Later Paul

Latest posts

Back