Windows not blocking traffic sound

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYoungMan143

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, so thanks in advance for any advice. What I'm wondering is if replacing my windows would solve my problem. Or if there is any product that I could add to my windows to fix my problem. I'm interested in replacing my windows with more energy-efficient ones, anyway, but I'd really like to know what I can expect as far as sound-dampening, too.

I bought my first house 6 months ago. I'm in a first ring suburb of Minneapolis, MN so there's a fair bit of outside noise, such as traffic and airplane. I knew this when I purchased it, and those thing normally don't bother me.

However, what has started bothering me is that more sound gets through my windows than I had expected. Namely, a low "rumble" gets through. While this isn't usually a problem during the day, as any other goings-on is louder than the outside, in the evening, and particularly when going to sleep, I notice it (my wife doesn't, and we've debated whether it is even really there, but it is). If we have the windows open, it's no big deal because I just hear the soothing sound of traffic. Windows closed, and it sounds more like someone parked their car in front of the house and is playing bass-heavy music (not as loud, but as constant).

I think the problem is with my windows. The house was built in the early 1950s, and we were told the windows are original (jury is still out if that is true, but they are certainly old). They are sliding, single pane, and not energy efficient at all. See the picture.

YSTXx-H2CoVHYInlYYOQb9m7POPKaOVrY8G6JONHI6OB=w266-h150-p-no

This is our bedroom window. It blocks some sound, but fails to block the low "rumble" of traffic, which is more annoying than just hearing the traffic with the window open.

O81gmQwqAQKWHfiwD1XjDYc6aU20TIhPSLyB5v_gy9H8=w288-h162-p-no

This is an example of the half windows in the basement. They are just little sliding, single pane, very thing, windows. They let in a noticeable amount of air and sound.

Now I know next to nothing about windows or sound in general. I assume that outdoor sounds get into the house primarily through the windows (if it's getting through the walls, the there's nothing I can do, right?). I have no problem with the sounds of planes flying directly overhead or a truck driving right by my house. But the low, steady, constant rumble of traffic is just getting really, really annoying. As I said before, it's like a car radio is playing heavy bass.

The window guy who gave us an estimate said that his company's (Wellington Windows) double pane, argon filled windows would make them significantly more energy efficient and reduce the noise next to nothing. Another company (www.soundproofwindows.com) would just add another fixture onto the existing windows and also claim incredible sound reduction.

Are these companies right? Would replacing my windows reduce the outside noise that much? Could the noise be getting in through other means?

Once again, thanks for any advice!

I live 5 miles south of an International Airport and the sound was deafening until I replaced them with dual pane Milgard windows. Now, I only hear the biggest UPS planes, who don't have to adhere to the sound abatement rules. I highly recommend a good window not only for sound deadening, but for maximum energy savings.

havasu, Milgard isn't available in my area. Can you be more specific about the kind of window you have so I might find a comparable one through a different company?

These windows are a few years old. Your best bet is to shop around for what is available in your area, and ask specific questions regarding sound. There are dozens of companies who put out some really great windows these days.

A single panr is worthless for sound or insulation.

Some of you noise could be from the vibrations of the house. This is common if you are close to the airport, especially if you are sensing it on lower frequencies.

Dick

Dick

just for chuckles, and because you said the noise gets less when the windows are open; try wedging something up against the window frame to see if they are amplifying the vibrations like a subwoofer might. Won't help you avoid buying new windows, but might make it bearable till you do.
As you shop, many window companies list noise ratings among their specs.

I lived next to a freeway for a while and previouse owner left the single pain glass and installed double on the inside with a 3" gap , when it was all closed up, quite.

Back