reinsulation of walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papaw

Reaction score
I just installed new patio door in a wall out to new cedar deck. What i found was insulation (blowed) had packed down about half way down the wall (33 yr old home) can i cut holes on the out side walls and blow in more insulation? Would i need to drill two holes one to blow it in and one for relief pressure?

Can you drill holes in the top plate of that wall and blow the insulation into the walls from the attic?

No to tight of area would have to remove roof sheeting to try that.

Drilling holes big enough to get insulation into the top plate will also weaken the building severely. That I would not do, what I would do is remove the top piece of siding on the outside wall. There you can access the areas you need and add a new trim board for a new detail if you cannot save the siding.
This is done when the older insulation settles all the time.
And if you do not mind sheetrocking, you can always tackle the issue from the inside.

What type of exterior siding does your house have? Did you see any holes in the exterior wall when you opened up the interior for the new patio door?

It is very likely that the original installer loosened up, or removed, a run of siding, drilled a hole through the exterior wall sheathing, then reapplied the siding. If it can be determined what was originally done it may reduce the headache.
hth, Doug

When i sided the house (vinyl siding) 8yrs ago i didn't find any pluged holes. I wrapped house and installed windows and siding. Put 12 more inchs in attic, now its time to do the walls thought i could drill two 2" holes as close to the top as possible one to blow insulation in the for relief of the pressure so i don't blow the black board loose. Thought someone would have done this before.

Back