Weed trimmer

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70chevelless

Reaction score
Good Morning,
I think it's time for a new weed trimmer I'm sick of the 2 cycles & am looking at ether a 4 cycle or cordless.
I have read a lot of good things about the American Gardener YS24 it is a 24 volt trimmer I have never owned anything cordless so I'm not sure about these can anyone tell me if there any good cordless in general I do know one thing I like the price?
The other one I'm thinking about is a 4 stroke as my last one was a 2 stroke & sat in the barn most of the time due to I could never get the thing to run. Having said that I'm a big John Deere fan but find they don't have a 4 stroke so I'm looking at a Snapper SST-BC but what I really would like to know is if anyone has a 4 stroke do they start easier & are they worth the money?.
Thank you!
Will,

I know you said no 2-cycles, but I just got this Stihl FS 56 RC-E trimmer, & it's awesome. Very powerful. Starts very easily with this new Easy2Start pull system ... As you pull the string slowly, it slowly loads up a spring mechanism, & as soon as it has enough tension to overcome piston compression, the engine cranks, and wah-lah, it starts. I've even purposely pulled the pull starter really slow to see if it will still work, because it's hard to believe it really will, but yep, even with really slow pulling, it cranks right up! Pretty slick.

from
String Trimmer Reviews: Best String Trimmer

Price

160 = average price
165 = median price

If you pay $100 you've done better pricewise than 3/4ths of the buyers.

The more samples, the more accuracy for this method.

Last edited:
I know you said no 2-cycles, but I just got this Stihl FS 56 RC-E trimmer, & it's awesome. Very powerful. Starts very easily with this new Easy2Start pull system ... As you pull the string slowly, it slowly loads up a spring mechanism, & as soon as it has enough tension to overcome piston compression, the engine cranks, and wah-lah, it starts. I've even purposely pulled the pull starter really slow to see if it will still work, because it's hard to believe it really will, but yep, even with really slow pulling, it cranks right up! Pretty slick.

Good morning,
Thank you for that I guess 2 cycles have come along way!. Not to mention that when I bought this it was on the spur of the moment so I guess I should not say no 2 cycle I will have to look into them I'll check out that Stihl model you have.
Thank you for your help!
Will,

One thing to consider is that 2 cycle engines produce a lot more pollution than 4 cycles engines. A weed whipper produces much more smog than a car!

One thing to consider is that 2 cycle engines produce a lot more pollution than 4 cycles engines. A weed whipper produces much more smog than a car!
But for a shorter time, so its total contribution to smog may be "down in the noise."

I have used an 18V Black & Decker cordless trimmer for two lawn seasons and I'm very satisfied. This unit wouldnt be OK for everyone, so here's some things I like/dislike about it:

Like: It's very light and easy to handle and control. I was never very good handling the two stroke I used to use. As a result, I always put off the triming and edging until my wife made me do it.

Like: It does the job I need it to do. Our current lot is a little over 1/2 acre with a lot of grass and planting areas that need triming/edging including several fences (side lot and pool). The unit will handle the grass triming and edging without a problem. I don't need to use it on anything besides grass.

Dislike: Battery life isn't that great. I can trim and edge about 300 feet before the battery goes dead. I've been able to live with that because the unit came with two batterys and uses the same battery and charger as the B&D cordless hedge trimer. On a hot day, "the battery needs charging" is also a good excuse to use the pool.

Like: The string unit is easy to change from horizontal to vertical when you need to edge. Its also the right height for me (5'10"). The string also advances without having to 'bump' it on the ground.

Like: Don't remember the exact price, but it was below $100. Its also very quiet.

Summary: If you've got the right size lot, its a nice unit.

. . .or battery life.

Price
$22
$29
$80
$100
$115
$130
$200
$210
$245

$126 = average price
$115 = median price

About half cost between $80 and $200.

So is the most costly 11x better than the least costly?
This is about the same ratio as the price of a Harley Davidson starter motor and a generic starter motor.

Maybe they're gold plated. . .

Last edited:
If you would considering 2 cycle at all, i would highly recommend an echo. Or a shindawa not sure how to spell that. They are both great products, used by lawn cutting businesses.
As for stihl, they often have cheap line feed, and should be replaced with an aftermarket one. But they are great weedeaters as well.

Back