Cheap Window Insulation?!?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secure

Reaction score
I have not tried it yet, but I am going to this winter for sure.

I read an article somewhere, I do not recall-maybe Mother Earth News, where you take a spray bottle of water, and bubble wrap (you know, for like securing fragile packages for shipping) to cover the windows.

Do it from the inside, pre-cut the wrap to the size of the pane of glass. Spray the water on the pane and then place the bubble rap with the bubbles sticking in, the flat back sticking on the pane.

In the article it says if the plastic falls off over time, you only need to re-wet it with spray and re-stick it. Easy clean up, sounds like.

Now, if it works, how do I resist the temptation, stronger in my kids, from popping the bubbles every time I walk by - :rolleyes:

Hello Secure:
I am a Mother fan from way back there. I haven't seen the article you mentioned but I sure like the idea. The bubble wrap should have some good insulating value and make a big difference in the room temperature.
Perhaps you need a small sheet left near the insulated windows, just for popping. My 6 year old grandson loves to fold the wrap up and jump on it for a lot of pop!
Glenn

I am still an oldfashoned guy who uses storm windows. Our house was built in 1956 with single pane windows; they didn't worry much about efficiency in those days. So, over the years, I have added storm windows as we had the extra money or could find them on sale. I got it down to 6 windows that were too narrow (19 3/4" wide) for any stock storms. I have laid off special ordering them for years now and recently had a flash of thought on the subject.
Since we haven't opened the small windows since we moved here, I realized a traditional storm window was not needed. I bought 6 panes of ss glass and had them installed on the stops using faucet washers and stainless steel screws. The faucet washers are neoprene for durability and we turned the beveled side to the window frame, leaving the sholder of the washer pressing the glass in place.
The special made storms are up to $60 now and I bought the glass and accessories for $95; a savings of $260. Maybe I should run for office?:confused:
Glenn

Glenn - My old house had some storm windows made like you describe. Back in the day when I worked in a hardware store on of my jobs was fixing storm windows. There were times when I also made custom frames and installed glass in them for just that purpose. Prices sure have gone up. I think a frame with glass 20x20 or 20x30 couldn't have been more than $30, maybe $40 at the most.

3m used to make a shrink wrap for windows. You just press it up against the wall and shrink it with a hair dryer.

Latest posts

Back