Double glazed door leaking at damp-course / sill interface.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magpie77

Reaction score
Hello,

I have tried looking for my issue on the forum and can't find it, so I wonder if anybody can help. To begin, an image:
Slide1.jpg

I have had to remove a large section of chip board flooring affected by the leak. Water is coming in immediately ABOVE the damp-course layer, i.e. just below the bottom white part (the sill?) and the water tracks along the damp course, where the water absorbs into wooden floor.

Our builder looked at it an said that it could be water being driven in from outside, under the sill, at the sill/brick interface. As such, he has comprehensively made a framing silicone bead, so stop water been driven through. But after a hard rainfall, with rain driven at the window, the leak is back!

Important to note here, is that water IS NOT seeping in at the line between the window frame and the top of the sill (as we look at picture in the inside) this joint is dry. The water is coming in above damp course layer, immediately below the bottom of the sill.. . . What could it be? I asked my builder if we should remove the glass pane and he said he couldn't see the benefit as leak is much lower down in door unit (somewhere).

The only clue I can see on forum is something to do with drain-away's, maybe the sill is full of water? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul.

To be clear, the leak is on the red line. I added the amateur silicone beading here, which has done no good and is really not a solution to problem. I will remove that as soon as I can understand cause.

There are many systems for deverting water from below the door and I think they all will require pulling it out. I find it hard to beleive that water would enter below the door everytime it rains unless the deck outside is level to the floor inside and the water pools outside. Water could be entering in a multitude of location and show up at the door.
Photos of the outside sill area and everything above the door will be helpfull.

Here's another couple of pics:
-There is no decking outside. The other picture shows that I have sealed around edge of window and under the window at frame/brick interface. I agree its a very odd place to leak, though any thoughts appreciated.

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

magpie -

You seem to be confusing the point of leakage with where it shows up on interior. Water runs vertically, horizontally and can also be controlled by capillary action where water is drawn for moist areas to drier areas an d shows up in various ways wherever there is little air circulation.

Since you have a brick exterior, is there a primary moisture barrier and proper flashing. It is estimated that about 60% of all windows and doors are installed improperly and cannot be analyzed easily from mere external observations.

Dick

Those look like vinyl or aluminum clad windows not welded seam soild vinyl.
More then once I've seem them leak in the outside corners and down behind the vinyl to window area.
Vinyl expands and contracts a lot, brick does not, so the seams like to open up.
A simple cheap test I had to do to prove a window was leaking there and not my siding I had just installed was mixing some red food coloring with water and applying it with a Turkey baster to the corner, red coloring came running out on the inside.

Got ya, what made me think that is look where the blue lines are in the picture, exactly where the seam is.

I've seen this happen many times in Pella and Anderson windows.

$$$ That's why.
I make it a habit to add a jamb sill to all sliders, French doors and larger windows. Close by me it's county code to install one under every door and window.

I do not see leaks in welded framed vinyl windows, just clad windows and some doors.

Back