Basement support pole removal

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldeneye

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of remodeling my one story ranch house basement it 40' long. There are currently 4 metal poles in the center of the basement that run the lenght of the house. They are positioned from the foundation wall 7' - 8' - 8' - 8' - 7' apart . These are the main poles that hold 3 9x1.5 inch boards nailed together. I'd like to remove one of the poles that is located 7' from the foundation wall. I was wondering if this would be safe or can I raplace the pole with 2 other poles starting 2' from the foundation wall and the other one at 9' from the foundation wall. This would give me more open space in the room I plan to use as a work shop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

You really should have a professional look at the adequacy of the beam(splices, loads, etc.) relative to your house and framing system including the roof.

In any case, you should have any post sitting on a new footing rather that putting it on an unknown slab with unknown soil under it.

It sounds feasable. You need an engineer and a building permit to verify that. You will be required to bust out the floor in install a proper foundation under the new pole locations. The floor itself can't support the load.

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it would be a big deal but I guess it's more than I can tackle myself....

I would agree that you probably should consult a professional. But, I had an entryway leading from my living room to my dining room where the floor sloped about 2 inches. I consulted a couple of general contractors who had worked on older homes. They both said that I could use 2 or 3 adjustable poles sitting on a 10' 6x6. As long as you aren't planning on using that space for anything...this may be something you could consider, but only after having someone actually see that situation.

Back