Flooring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgsrecker

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 140-year-old house, and pulled up several layers (and scraped off one layer of glued on linoleum ) in my kitchen to get down to the original hardwood floor. The hardwood (well hardwood might not be the right term because it's pine) probably was originally 5/8, but is now about 9/16". There is an area under what used to be the old kitchen sink that does not have the hardwood and just has the subfloor. my question is whether or not to take hardwood out from another area of the kitchen (under some cabinets that are going in) and put it where I am missing Hardwood. A friend of mine mentioned potentially using reclaimed flooring As an alternative to tearing up the hardwood in another part of the kitchen.

Does anyone who has more experience in flooring have a suggestion between those two choices? I'm leery about pulling up the existing hardwood because I'm afraid how much of it I'll damage but I'm not sure I'm going to find new flooring to match the old pine.

You might be better off filling the missing hardwood with 5/8" ply then put laminate or engineered hardwood over. Don't take up the hardwood to replace it will never work for you.

Back