noisy plumbing in walls

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbie666

Reaction score
Live in an apt. Style condo. The wall behind where we sit in the living room has the water pipes for our neighbours shower. Unfortunantly when the neighbours shower or bath it gets noisy. The section of wall is about 12 feet wide with 8 feet ceilings. What are some things i can do as far as insulation or other things to reduce noise of running water. Willing to rip out section of dryw
all and redo if necessary.

Plastic sewer drain lines have always been noisy. If you want to spend serious $$$, replace the plastic with cast iron. Otherwise, just wrap what's there with acoustical foam or other sound barrier material, and re-rock it. You could also hang a big piece of cork on the wall in front of the pipe, fancied up to make your artistic side show through.

I believe they are copper pipes for the hot and cold water supplies. I was thinking if I rip out that section of drywall and wrap pipes with insulation and or pack that portion of the wall with insulation. also maybe pack the gaps with fiberglass batting where the pipes go through the studs.

Back