Air Bubbles in paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddytron

Reaction score
I just second coated my bathroom, and discovered a lot of air bubbles in my paint. I primed with an Acrylic-Latex primer, and am applying Acrylic bathroom paint. The air bubbles are 'popping up' on the original drywall that was in the bathroom, nowhere near where I puttied. Now that the paint is somewhat dry, I am unsure of what to do about this.

One possible cause of the air bubbles is from mixing or 'stirring" the paint. Shaking the can or stirring the paint too vigorously can mix air in the paint and if not allowed to settle for an hour or so can show up as little bubbles as the paint is applied. The primer and top coat you describe should be compatible and not interact to cause a gassing phenomenon.

At this point the best thing I can think of is to sand down what is up there now and put on another coat. Maybe just paint a small area and see how that turns out before doing the whole job.

that's what i was about to do, however, when the paint dried, the bubbles are not nearly as noticeable, so I'll just leave it the way it is

Could of been the nap of the roller, or the applying to many coats to quickly.

Roller nap is my best guess. Some folks try to stretch the paint by running the roller dry. This leaves what appear to be bubbles. Also, people use skinny nap rollers when a thicker nap would be better. Skinny naps tend to hiss when they run dry -- leaving a mess.

Hope you get a better finish next time.

Roller nap or moisture coming through the wall.
I see this in old plaster homes some times. Mainly if the drywall is over a brick wall.

Back