painting new cedar trim

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donald73d

Reaction score
I am replacing the cheap pine finger jointed ext. trim on my house with cedar. I prime it before putting it up. I will be white. I was thinking a white oil base solid color stain, but some people say it will mildew. So maybe acrylic?

Above all else I do not want it to peel.

Near Albany NY.

In a clearing in the woods, it gets sunlight, but not tons.

I don't particularly care for cedar due to the on-going maintenance required. You'd be further ahead in the long run in terms of cost and maintenance to install vinyl siding. Also, woodpeckers love cedar siding. I had them drill golf ball sized holes in cedar siding.
However, you are right on the money going with oil base solid color stain. Just add power washing the mildew to the on-going maintenance of the siding.

I don't particularly care for cedar due to the on-going maintenance required. You'd be further ahead in the long run in terms of cost and maintenance to install vinyl siding. Also, woodpeckers love cedar siding. I had them drill golf ball sized holes in cedar siding.
However, you are right on the money going with oil base solid color stain. Just add power washing the mildew to the on-going maintenance of the siding.

Woodpeckers go where bugs are. My brother had woodpeckers go through vinyl siding to get to bugs behind the vinyl siding.

Cedar has natural oils that prevent it from rotting and I would not think bugs would like the natural oil either. So not sure I agree with you about cedar and woodpeckers. Again you could have woodpeckers go through cedar siding or trim to get to bugs in the sheathing.

Woodpeckers peck for 3 reasons Food, Drumming and Nesting. Most of the time when they are rapping on a house it’s the drumming and mostly in the springtime. It’s part of their mating and they look for something that has a hollow sound and is easy to get a grip on. If you see them making a large hole it’s for a nest.

OP,
Cedar is known for extractive bleeding. In your place I'd prime with a stain suppressing oil based primer such as Cover Stain then top coat with a quality acrylic exterior paint in the finish of your choice.
FWIW
YMMV

Back