Mitering question on my 113.1971-50 RAS

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoundDog57

Reaction score
Hello I'm new here and I don't know if this is the right place to post this.
I am trying to upgrade my Craftsman RAS 113.1971-50 with the new safety kit
from Emerson. My problem is that the arm won't swing left past 48 deg but it will swing past 60 deg to the right. This is preventing me from correctly leveling the brackets for the new table-top. The auto stops are locking it in the 45,90, and 45 presets properly. I took the arm apart and didn't see any broken, loose or missing parts.
Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Is there dust and debris under the base of of where the arm swings? Mine is a cheaper RYOBI but I had problems when I want to move the arm to the left. It always stuck. I unscrewed the top and removed the dust. It helped a little.

Is there dust and debris under the base of of where the arm swings? Mine is a cheaper RYOBI but I had problems when I want to move the arm to the left. It always stuck. I unscrewed the top and removed the dust. It helped a little.
Nope, everything is clean. It's as if the post is turned too far to the right. If I were to turn the post to the left (so movement of arm would be equal both left and right) the 90 deg indent would actually be off to the left. I guess I should have taken a few pics while I had it apart. I did however get the table braces level and everything else is fine as long as I don't have to cut a 52 deg left angle.

Most radial arm saws have detents at safe operating angles. If you swing past 48degrees left, will the saw travel off of the table?
The blade already being biased to the left will make it more likely to travel over the edge of the table which would be a dangerous situation. Some of the most aggravating nuisances on our power tools are there for our own safety:)

Most radial arm saws have detents at safe operating angles. If you swing past 48degrees left, will the saw travel off of the table?
The blade already being biased to the left will make it more likely to travel over the edge of the table which would be a dangerous situation. Some of the most aggravating nuisances on our power tools are there for our own safety:)
Thanks! That made complete sense. Funny how the operating manual doesn't mention a thing about that but every other safety tip in triplicate.
BTW I really like the addition you created on the front of the house, I had been looking at that in the gallery when I first signed up on this site.
Thanks again for your response, Mark

Back