surprise hole in my basement flooor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrjm1005

Reaction score
I started peeling up the vinyl floor in the 1/2 bath in my basement. Its concrete underneath but as i continued i found a portion of the floor that was wood. Its about an 8 inch square. the wood was taped in place and supported by a piece of 2x4. I pulled it out and about a foot down the hole is some type of lid with rivets holding it in. there is some concrete debris on top of the lid. there is space around all 4 sides ( about 1/4 inch) where i can sweep some of the dirt . What could this hole be. its near the door of the bathroom but not anyplace you'd want a shower drain to be. This hole kind of has a 'basement' smell. the wood cover had brown mold under it, we did have the bathroom sink overflow a few months ago. Could this be just a basement flood drain.

P2230280.jpg

If the is concrete at the bottom I would guess that it might have been a temperary post while the pored the floor before the built the bearing wall, but I've been wrong before.
BTW, welcome to the site.

I can't see the plate with the rivets you describe but it sounds like it could be a plumbing cleanout.

i'll post another picture later, i think the lid on whaterever is down there is wood.

If you could read what it says on the top of the plate you could google that.
How deep is this hole? Do you have underground wiring? Could this be inline with water line?

thats what i did as soon as i saw there was writing. I said PLASTIC ODDITIES INC. scrolling through the products they have, I think its the top to a backwater valve.

Looks like you have. Do you think they could have found a worse place to put it. I guess now you just have to find some access door to go over it.

Sump pump hole. So if you need to install a sump pump you don't have to dig the hole and the pipe for the footer drain mite be there too

i was always under the assumption that that was the backwater valve. But i have been mistaken in the past.

Back